Software Engineering Intern, Summer 2020
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
As a Software Engineer Intern for the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, you will create technology products to support our mission. You will work with various stakeholders to conceptualize and define engineering projects and goals, and you will build and deploy software to accomplish these goals.
Interested in learning more about CZI’s Technology? Check out our blog here.
- Work on frontend, backend and full-stack web/mobile development
- Build and maintain data ingestion and processing systems
- Apply software development skills to a wide range of coding projects
- Create ad-hoc technology tools for external partners
You have or are
- Pursuing a BS or MS degree (Computer Science or related field preferred) and will have time remaining in school after your summer internship
- Targeted graduation dates December 2020 through Summer 2021
- Experience with developing and debugging software
- The ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during the Summer 2020
Nice to have
- Software engineering experience from previous internships, work experience, hackathons, academic research, or personal projects
- Experience with languages such as C/C++, Java, Python, PHP, Ruby, and shell scripts
- Experience with frontend web development technologies
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Familiarity with big data technologies
- Experience working in Linux/Unix environments