Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers can expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research. In addition to supporting individual project collaborations, we support the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub, an independent nonprofit research hub to bring scientists and engineers together from Stanford, UCSF, UC Berkeley, along with the engineering team from CZI.
At CZI Science, our Product team focuses on opportunities to deliver and scale value and impact, not revenue. Our Technology team is seeking an inquisitive, and versatile Product Manager who has the capability to incubate, resource, and lead products in all stages of the development cycle.
As a team, we:
- Deliver products that accelerate science
- Identify products that would be underfunded as commercial ventures
- Build communities by collaborating and using technology
To achieve these goals, you will have the opportunity to work closely with a dynamic and collaborative team of scientists, computational biologists, engineers, designers, and user researchers who are focused on supporting the scientific community at-large. Supporting the pillars of funding, convenings, and technology, you will help shape and drive the pillar of technology as CZI grows.
We build products like Meta, a semantic discovery tool that provides a faster way to understand, organize and explore science through personalized feeds.
We collaborate on products like:
- IDSeq, a metagenomics platformfocused on delivering insights in infectious disease
- Starfish, an open-source image processing framework, enabling access to multiplex image-based transcriptomics analysis
- Napari, a fast, interactive, multi-dimensional image viewer
- cellxgene, an open source interactive data explorer for single-cell transcriptomics data
- The Human Cell Atlas (HCA) Data Coordination Platform, the central platform to process and serve single cell data to the HCA community, focused on building a comprehensive reference map of all human cells
- Meta a research discovery tool that provides a faster way to understand, organize and explore science through personalized feeds
As the product manager for Meta, you will lead the product vision and delivery of comprehensive, authoritative, intelligent services that enable us to ensure that researchers have access to the scope of content that enables them to keep track of a field and to learn about any field including new developments and understanding the existing landscape across interdisciplinary scientific fields.
- Define and drive our content product strategy and delivery in support of Meta’s product experience and development of the Meta knowledge graph
- Devise, test, and deliver content experiences across Meta services including application of machine learning, expert and machine-curation, and derivatives of the scholarly outputs indexed in Meta.
- Drive ideation, planning, development, and launch of content services that impact key outcomes by working with Meta's research science, engineering, design, analytics, and marketing teams
- Live the culture of measurement and analytics within Meta's product organization. Run A/B testing framework to ensure teams drive key metrics without negatively impacting important counter-metrics
- Integrate usability studies, research and market analysis into product requirements to improve user satisfaction
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of research publication sources, market, and relevant consumer product counterparts
- Partner closely with engineering, data scientists, UX research and design teams at CZI and with the broader community
- Develop a close pulse on the scientific community and market, engaging with a global community of forward-thinking and passionate biomedical researchers
- Assess both commercial and academic landscapes, and craft strategic choices
- Participate in the scholarly communication community, participating in cross industry initiatives, infrastructure, and standards projects.
- Strong affinity for our mission to support the science and technology that will make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of this century
- 3+ years of experience in a product management (or equivalent) role focused on content and data analytics as a service
- Demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit and point of view, with an ability to focus on user value and change as you learn from our users and partners
- Firm understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Experience developing cloud- and/or data-based products and technologies
- Experience delivering products with closely partnered stakeholders including security, legal, quality, or regulatory policy
- Energy, evangelism, and communication skills, including communication to non-technical partners/collaborators
- Excellent ability to collaborate closely with individuals of diverse backgrounds and ideas
- 4+ years of product experience (can include field or product applications, engineering) in science communication, data analytics, or related disciplines
- Experience in leading products with complex metadata and data types
- Prior experience taking multiple products from concept to launch with cross-functional teams
- Ability to work with products at different stages of product maturity
- Strong technology skills, including experience in either data products, applied unsupervised and supervised machine learning; consumer/collaborative work/workflow products; or local and cloud infrastructure
- Prior delivery of go-to-market strategy and market assessment (build/buy/partner assessments)
- Skilled in leading multiple engineering teams in a start-up and enterprise environment
- Familiarity with biomedical, clinical research and/or science communication