Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing technical leaders with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
Our Science Team is seeking an Operations Manager to act as a strategic partner for the Science Initiative technology leadership in growing operations to accelerate our work. This person would help design, implement, continuously improve, and scale team operations. The right candidate will be adept at navigating a fast-moving startup organization and finding the right balance between structure and flexibility to keep the team moving, and will be excited about playing a critical role in helping our teams scale in people, dollars, disciplines, and focus areas.
You will have the opportunity to work closely with a collaborative team of scientists, computational biologists, engineers, product managers, designers and user experience researchers both building software and grant programs that accelerate the pace of the biological sciences.
- Participate in projects and grow and continuously improve internal operations for CZI’s Science Technology Team, including budgeting, hiring, and contracting as we grow our team in all dimensions.
- Track consultants and contractors (contingent workers), including guiding new contracts through internal approval and understanding business terms.
- Manage the whole lifecycle for contracts, purchasing and invoicing, including the development of processes to best structure contracts to increase efficiency and minimize burden on our team and the legal team.
- Interface regularly with our internal partners on contracts-related questions and tasks and use discretion and priority setting skills to escalate as necessary.
- Interface with the other central functions at CZI (e.g. finance, legal, security, etc.), including the creation and implementation processes, understanding policies in place, and tracking tools for Sci Tech program leads to better manage their workflow.
- Develop and improve documentation and act as a resource for team members to navigate operations processes across the organization.
- Partner with the team across Science to execute and improve our existing planning and OKR (Objectives and Key Results) cycle.
- Identify areas of improvement, increased communication and increased synergy for operations support across the entire Science Team.
- 3+ years professional experience with related operations, project management, or administrative work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience designing, implementing and improving operational processes based on feedback and data, ideally in a digital-first team using tools such as Google Docs, Salesforce, and Slack
- Proven ability to navigate complex organizations and processes to deliver results
- Ability to work collaboratively to support work across multiple teams and outcomes
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage internal stakeholders at all levels
- Passion for our mission and desire to contribute to an innovative organization that is balancing start-up hustle with long-term impact
- Comfort with ambiguity in a rapidly changing environment - able to flex and adapt when things change last minute while maintaining a strong bias towards action