Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI’s investment function is a new effort within the organization. The goal is to build a world-class investment portfolio that will deliver superior risk-adjusted returns to fund CZI’s ongoing operations over the long-term. The investment program pursues a “manager of managers” approach, scouring the globe to find extraordinary investment organizations that invest across a wide spectrum of styles and asset classes. The team is led by Chief Investment Officer David Lee, and currently has three other investment professionals.
CZI’s investment program offers a unique opportunity for early-career professionals to learn the craft of investing and to participate in building an institutional-scale portfolio from a blank slate. The portfolio will be invested globally, and investment analysts will have broad exposure to all of the major allocations (public equities, absolute return, private equity - both buyouts and venture capital - and real assets), while focusing on a subset of these day-to-day. We value truth-seeking, analytical rigor, and collaboration, and all investment team members have a voice in the process, regardless of seniority. We share information broadly across our team and all sit on an open floorplan to enhance communication.
We are looking for an Investment Analyst to support all aspects of the investment process, from participating in meetings with existing and prospective managers, conducting investment due diligence, monitoring existing investments and helping prepare materials to keep our founders and advisory board informed of our progress. Ideally, you have 2-3 years of experience at a firm that provided experience in financial analysis and exposure to the capital markets. You should also be comfortable with navigating a young organization and be collaborative, hungry to learn, nimble and proactive about figuring out how to make things happen and create new systems and processes.
- Conduct due diligence on existing and prospective investment managers, including participating in meetings and calls
- Play an active role in internal discussions related to investment decisions
- Build investment models, develop performance analyses, and monitor exposures at both the fund and portfolio level utilizing software/systems (including Excel)
- Prepare materials for internal team meetings and quarterly board meetings
- Research financial markets, including preparing periodic updates on financial market performance and “deep dives” into specific areas of interest
- Travel for investment-related research from time to time
- Build relationships with investment managers and peer institutions
- Gain exposure to CZI’s philanthropic programs
- Undergraduate degree and at least 0-3 years of work experience in an analytical role (2-3 years ideal), preferably at an investment bank, consulting firm or investment management firm
- Strong interest in financial markets and desire to learn how to build successful investment portfolios
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management skills with ability to multitask and prioritize across projects to meet deadlines
- Expertise with MS Excel
- Passion for CZI’s mission