Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
All young people should have the knowledge, skills, habits, and power they need to thrive in an ever changing world. Through grantmaking, impact investments and research and engineering focused on the science of learning and student development, our aim is to help provide every kid a more level playing field and access to personalized learning experiences that can change the trajectory of their life. An example of our work is our partnership with Summit Learning -- a personalized approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life.
In this role, you will lead and manage one of the teams in the Infrastructure group within the Chan Zuckerberg Education Initiative. This team serves the Initiative’s mission to build innovative personalized learning environment, in partnership with leaders in the education field. As part of our education team you will support multiple product efforts, including the development of the Summit Learning Platform in conjunction with Summit Public Schools. The team has been operating for 4 years and supports over 400 schools.
Your main responsibility is to lead a growing engineering team and to enrich the skills and careers of the team members. You will coach and manage team members as they improve the reliability and performance of the Summit Learning Platform. In addition, you will coordinate with other Infrastructure teams at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and product engineering teams to share and spread best practices throughout the organization.
- Manage and lead a growing engineering team to scale our product infrastructure and backend systems
- Help to establish engineering culture and best practices
- Grow the skills of engineers of all levels
- Recruit engineers to the team
- Ensure the team’s ability to collect and synthesize project requirements, create effective project roadmaps, and ship high-quality products
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering manager, particularly in a high-growth environment with at least 5+ years of hands on coding experience
- Prior experience in cloud computing, web application infrastructure, and web application performance are desirable for this role
- Experience in Ruby on Rails and Postgres will be a plus
- Passion for scalability, reliability, and performance