Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
This role at CZI is an opportunity for an experienced communications leader to own internal communications strategy and execution for a dynamic and fast-growing organization. In this role, you will be responsible for building an internal communications program that supports a strong, vibrant culture across the organization and fosters a clear understanding of CZI’s mission and goals - helping to ensure CZI-ers are informed, engaged and inspired every day. You will also serve as a strategic communications partner to our founders and leadership team.
This role sits on the Communications Team and reports to CZI’s Chief Spokesperson, though requires working closely with the CZI People Team and extensive engagement and collaboration across a matrixed organization. You will have one direct report, our Internal Communications Manager.
- Build and execute a comprehensive internal communications strategy for a unique, first of its kind philanthropic organization with a passionate and mission-driven workforce that spans a diverse array of fields and backgrounds
- Proactively lead and execute internal communications projects and campaigns that lift up CZI’s work and mission and support a positive culture and engaged workforce
- Partner closely with the People team, managing all org-wide communications and internal information sharing, including crisis and change management
- Work closely with our leadership team and founders, including preparation for internal gatherings and development of executive communications materials including speeches, talking points, and emails
- Deploy creative and innovative methods of information sharing internally, potentially streamlining existing channels and forums
- Support the Recruiting team around employee brand efforts
- 10+ years of experience as a senior-level communications leader who has managed the development and execution of internal communications strategies for an organization or company
- Demonstrated passion for strong internal culture.
- Built executive communications materials for internal audiences
- Crisis management experience around sensitive workforce issues
- Advised and supported high-level executives or principals
- Exemplary written and oral communications skills
- People management experience, including management of outside agencies or contractors