Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The CZI Brand Manager will be a key member of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Brand team and will champion the integrity of the overall CZI brand. The ideal candidate has a hunger to successfully define the strategy and voice of an ambitious and unusual brand through unifying our digital content, communications, creative, and event activities into one cohesive narrative that speaks to both internal and external audiences. The Brand Manager will also oversee the strategy, design, and production of CZI’s brand storytelling with a substantial initial focus on the digital ecosystem.
This role will own, develop, and execute cohesive 360° marketing campaigns that drive awareness of CZI and our partners’ work, lift up the voices of our grantees and partners, provide meaningful opportunities to engage with the communities we serve, and drive broader narrative change in the issue spaces we work in -- all to help achieve our mission in building a future for everyone.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable owning and driving: strategic positioning, identity development, creative development, execution of brand-owned or supported platforms and properties from the ground up, and key moments in the CZI calendar such as grant applications and the annual letter announcement.
Lastly, the candidate should be comfortable with a fast-paced, morphing environment, bring good energy, be hungry to learn, and be proactive about figuring out how to make things happen. The candidate should also possess strong leadership ability in growing and managing a team of mission-driven content creators.
- Concept and execute creative campaigns to help drive positive awareness on CZI initiatives (including build of entire campaigns, videos, social campaigns, events and project management of 360 campaigns).
- Design, project manage and execute CZI’s overall brand engagement footprint, with a sharp eye towards creativity and progressive storytelling
- Manage briefs, asks and creative development for a team of in-house creatives (and some agency partners) in order to effectively design and deliver the highest quality storytelling content and brand assets across all CZI channels.
- Drive the macro brand narrative strategy of CZI
- Lead a team of in-house creatives and production talent to effectively design and deliver the highest quality storytelling content and brand assets across all channels and CZI touchpoints
- Integrate all aspects of CZI work into one cohesive narrative
- Build and manage CZI narratives and digital platforms, on time and at the highest quality level
- Work with colleagues, partners, stakeholders and vendors to set the gold standard benchmark for how the CZI brand is perceived by those we work with and serve
- Build and manage a robust roster of creative partners
- Determine and execute appropriate research needs based on analytics and reporting
- Manage central CZI moments (ie Annual Letter) and contribute to CZI moments such as all-org offsites
- Ensure internal and external communications assets and moments align with the overall brand while also overseeing brand guidelines and brand usage requests.
- Evangelize brand & creative capabilities and offerings to teams across the org and help them properly scope and prioritize creative needs that align with overall organizational and brand priorities.
- 8+ years working in brand/communications/creativity (with deep digital experience and expertise)
- Successful and demonstrable leadership of complex creative projects, accounts, and teams
- Strong creative point of view
- Strong track record as a manager of creative teams and developer of creative talent
- Deep understanding of digital engagement mechanisms and creative storytelling landscape
- Experience working with a variety of client requests and organization sizes
- Experience leading quantitative and qualitative research processes
- Proven track record executing on creative work
- Strong creative point of view, with experience designing narratives across various media platforms