Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
You will be joining the commercial group of our growing Legal and Grants team. You will review and negotiate contracts and help us scale by drafting templates and playbooks and helping us make our contract management system more powerful, each of which is critical to the success of our program objectives and operational goals. You will work with educators, scientists, and change makers to help CZI achieve its ambitious mission of creating a future for everyone! If you are mission-oriented and enjoy collaborating across multiple functions, you will fit right in. Come help us reimagine technology-focused philanthropy! We can’t wait to hear from you.
- Review, negotiate and draft contracts memorializing a wide variety of business transactions, including SaaS, content licensing, IP, technology, partnership, MOUs, service, events, software, and other commercial contracts
- Project manage external legal resources (e.g. outside counsel) and address their escalations
- Provide interpretation of contract and policy language with the goal of maintaining a nimble and responsive approach to managing risk within a heavily resourced and scaling organization
- Constantly interact with multiple internal clients and high-level operations staff, including finance and communications teams, regarding ongoing and future transactions and strategy
- Resolve disputes and terminate or enforce existing contracts
- Maintain current and up-to-date knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and standards, and monitor changes to ensure organizational adaptation and compliance
- In partnership with the Director, Legal-Commercial, draft and maintain org-wide contracting forms, contract management systems, policies, and playbooks to increase efficiency and managing legal and business risk
- In partnership with the Director, Legal-Commercial, coordinate internal compliance measures relating to internal business and legal policies, including helping prepare and conduct regular training sessions for team members throughout the organization.
- Eagerly contribute to general team and organizational operations, including taking on special projects and helping out with other functions, as necessary and time permitting
- 5+ years of law firm and in-house experience with a focus on technology transactions and commercial contracts.
- Experience as contract-focused counsel at an organization with complex operations involving technology, IP, data/privacy (GDPR, COPPA, HIPAA, etc.), and other unique risk factors
- Possess skills necessary to communicate clearly about contract terms and commercial issues with both legal and non-legal partners, including a preference for plain language (aka a disdain for legalese) and well honed skills in writing and speaking clearly and concisely Able to anticipate and grapple with legal and technical challenges inherent to transactions and general contract administration
- Sound business and legal judgment and experience making difficult decisions regarding nuanced legal terms with less than perfect information and a love of figuring out how to practically optimize for risk
- Experience with contracts management systems (Salesforce) is a plus; comfort with learning and using new tools to improve process efficiency and transparency
- Ability to work and thrive within a highly matrixed and growing organization in a fast-paced and continuously evolving environment, including a track record of setting priorities without clear guidance from management and stakeholders
- A learning and growth mindset coupled with humility and mission-oriented sensibilities, particularly a passion for creating impact in the education, science, and social justice spaces
- Sense of humor, initiative, flexibility, and an ability to roll up your sleeves and get things done, while thinking strategically and creatively.
- JD and Bar Admission