Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Our mission is to create a future for everyone. Across our three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
You will be an integral member of CZI’s growing Legal & Grants team. This is a hybrid role, providing both operations support to the Legal & Grants team as well as employment law support as CZI builds programs for our most important asset, our employees. You will be a builder -- helping build the infrastructure and culture of the Legal & Grants team, and partnering with the People Team on new HR programs and initiatives. You will be a doer - creating processes, systems and tools to implement solutions. You will be a champion in developing our culture, both within the Legal & Grants Team and across CZI.
We are looking for someone that is mission oriented, can run with projects, and has enthusiasm for optimizing and scaling processes across multiple functions. The successful candidate will likely have a paralegal, project management, operations, employment, human resources, or other similar background. You will report to the Director of Employment Law and Legal & Grants Team Operations and be an early member of the CZI Legal & Grants team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
- Help build and run Operations 2.0 for the Legal & Grants team, including identifying and creating more efficiencies, scalability and consistency
- Evaluate current technology and tools and work to implement new versions as needed
- Develop, implement, and maintain the team’s record management system
- Champion Legal & Grants Team information dissemination, both within the team and across CZI
- Manage outside law firm engagements, tracking, and data analytics
- Manage the Legal & Grants team pro bono opportunities, and partner with CZI’s internal Community Team, external grantees and other partners on ways for team members to stay close to the work
- Assist on employment law projects & initiatives, including establishing, documenting and implementing processes and procedures that ensure employment law compliance
- Work cross-functionally with the People Team on HR initiatives including providing support for roll out of new programs
- Assist with litigation, if any, including managing legal holds and discovery (including e-discovery); work with CZI’s IT Operations team on document retention processes and procedures
- Help manage CZI’s responses to subpoenas and third-party requests for information, if any
- Add rigor to all aspects of internal processes and champion collaboration and efficiency across the team; take on special projects or help with other functions, as necessary
- Demonstrated interest to take the initiative to make continuous process improvements
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong project management skills, including preparing project plans and key milestones; the ability to manage numerous projects under tight timeframes
- Experience and desire to work with technology and tools; experience with GoogleSuite, Salesforce, DocuSign, SimpleLegal a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and an ability to partner effectively at all levels both internally and externally to CZI
- Experience in or an interest in learning subpoena processes and litigation support functions
- History of demonstrating good judgment and integrity
- Lots of curiosity and an interest to learn fast