Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our Whole Child team is seeking an associate to support grant making across multiple portfolios. In this role you will support sourcing, diligence and grant making. This role will be responsible for leading and developing systems to track grantees and learning around each grant. This role will also be responsible for facilitating grantee collaboration, ensuring grantees have access to the most up to date research, support engagement and alignment with fellow funders, and help build portfolio strategy to identify what’s needed for the portfolio to grow.
- Support sourcing, diligence and grant making process
- Lead and develop systems to track grantees and learning around each grant
- Identify and support opportunities to develop grantee collaboration
- Ensure all grantees have access to the most up to date research and resources CZI and others have collected
- Manage systematic engagement and alignment with fellow funders
- Support and plan convenings between grantees and funders
- Help build portfolio strategy, identify what’s needed for the portfolio to grow
- Support creation of RFPs and management of the application, review and award process
- Support projects associated with grants portfolio, managing consultants as needed
- A minimum of 2 years experience in non-profit or philanthropy
- Proven success owning and executing projects and project deadlines
- Experience communicating and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for promoting equal opportunity in education
- Strong time management skills with ability to multitask and prioritize across projects
- Experience working with nonprofits or government agencies in the areas of education, advocacy or community relations preferred