Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Do you have a passion for building and implementing systems to achieve measurable social impact in the world. Do you want to help enable changemakers to deploy resources in a fast-paced, tech-based philanthropic organization? Do you enjoy setting up organizational processes to scale?
As a Grants Associate, you will be a key member of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Legal and Grants team as we build a dynamic new grants team. You will support and manage various administrative, technological and financial functions related to grants management.
This role is for someone with a passion for grantmaking, including compliance and systems administration. The candidate will operate in an intelligent, flexible, patient, and principled way under the leadership of our grants managers.
- Create and maintain accurate grant files across multiple funding entities
- Ensure data integrity of our Salesforce database
- Monitor active grants for legal and program compliance requirements
- Conduct research on grants to ensure compliance with CZI grantmaking policies and IRS rules
- Assist with editing and creation of grant policies for the department
- Facilitate internal tracking and compliance with CZI grantmaking policies
- Assist the Director of Grants Management, Grants Managers (and other team members, as needed) with scheduling and logistics for key cross-functional meetings
- Make suggestions to improve grant processes and systems and assist with the implementation of those suggestions
- Act as a liaison between the grants management team and grants operations partners (finance, technology infrastructure, and the Silicon Valley Community Foundation)
- Provide Salesforce database assistance to grantees. Assist grantees with report submissions, password resets, and other relevant needs.
- Assist with onboarding new grantmaking staff
- Assist with grants and technology projects for the grants team, as requested
- Track industry memberships and sponsorships for department and provide access to related resources for new hires and other CZI team members
- Perform other duties, as needed
- Familiarity with databases and other technology tools; Salesforce experience is a plus
- 1-3 years of Grants Management experience
- Detail-oriented with a passion for process and using data to support organizational operations
- Excellent communication skills, including written communications
- Comfort with fast-paced and continuously changing environments
- Strong prioritization and organization skills
- Desire to grow and learn new things
- Enjoy working on diverse, cross-functional teams
- Project management skills or experience a plus