Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s demonstrating technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we're pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with domain experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
The Infrastructure organization works on building shared tools and platforms to be used across all of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. Members of the data infrastructure engineering team have an impact on all of CZI's initiatives by enabling the technology solutions used by other engineering teams at CZI to scale. A person in this role will build these technology solutions and help to cultivate a culture of shared standard methodologies and knowledge around data engineering.
- Implement and provide technical guidance in data visualization, metrics definition, and overall data usage across the disparate parts of the organization
- Analyze and improve query efficiency, data quality, and in preserving data privacy for our CZI data warehouses across our Education, Science, and Justice & Opportunity initiatives and for the core business operations
- Help our business operations teams and our 5+ engineering teams design and build dashboards alongside that help them derive insights and optimize our operations
- Evangelize and educate teams across CZI on best practices around data privacy and security, data operations, as well as improving data operations efficiency
- Help teams improve their data operations by automating manual processes, optimizing data storage and delivery, re-designing schema for scalability
- Help design and build ETL infrastructure used by our initiatives and across the organization
- Work with Data Scientists and Data Analysts to optimize deriving insights from our data
- Provide operational oversight for our data and optimized Data DevOps for the organization
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python, PHP, Ruby, or Perl
- Experience using data visualization tools with data warehouses
- Experience creating high quality dashboards and reports
- Experience creating data extraction scripts for business systems data into data warehouses
- Experience and maintaining custom or structured ETL processes and data pipelines
- Experience working with complex SQL
- Experience defining and creating high quality metrics that are used for critical business operations
- Experience working with large disconnected datasets and help teams extract value from them