Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to craft, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy specialists better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
The product security team works to secure products being developed across all of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. Members of the product security team have an impact on all of CZI’s initiatives by championing security principles during the software development lifecycle and by building scalable, cleverly engineered ‘paved roads’ which give strong security assurances by default. In this role, you will critically examine the existing applications, identify the areas of greatest impact, lay out the roadmap for the team, and begin to build the highest impact solutions.
- Lead the technical direction of CZI’s product security roadmap, identifying areas of greatest impact and risk
- Design and build cleverly engineered, scalable application security mechanisms for our shared infrastructure
- Take a leadership role in driving product security initiatives across multiple engineering teams in various stages of maturity, across multiple domains and tech stacks
- Seek opportunities for security wins by collaborating with other teams to integrate and adopt industry-leading security methodologies
- Mentor and help grow more junior team members
- Significant experience architecting and building application security on modern tech stacks
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- Strong understanding of web application security
- Experience as a developer, ideally with Ruby or Java
- Some background with pentesting and threat modeling
- 5+ years experience in security engineering