Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. An example of our work is our partnership with Summit Learning -- a personalized approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life.
The Education Infrastructure team supports development of the Summit Learning Platform, currently serving hundreds of schools across 39 states and the District of Columbia. By building shared tools and infrastructure, we ensure that the platform is stable, performant, secure, and scalable. In this role, you will partner closely with members of the product engineering team and the core infrastructure team to cultivate shared best practices that allow the entire team to rapidly improve our product.
- Analyze and improve efficiency, stability, performance, and security of CZI Education engineering
- Design, build, and maintain core infrastructure tools and libraries for CZI Education
- Collaborate with other engineers and teams
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of relevant coding experience with production end-to-end systems
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or similar cloud services
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with a dynamic programming language such as Ruby or Python