Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
The Infrastructure organization works on building shared tools and platforms to be used across all of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. Members of the data infrastructure engineering team have an impact on all of CZI's initiatives by enabling the technology solutions used by other engineering teams at CZI to scale. A person in this role will build and lead a team of software engineers and data scientists. This team will build, maintain and help cultivate a culture of shared best practices and knowledge around data engineering.
- Build and lead teams of software engineers and data scientists
- Scale our data warehouse and business intelligence solutions across the company
- Evangelize and educate teams across CZI on best practices around data security and improving efficiency
- Help teams improve their data operations by automating manual processes, optimizing data storage and delivery, re-designing infrastructure for scalability
- Recruit and grow the skills of all engineers, at all levels, and establish a productive and inclusive team culture
- Shown ability to assemble and lead large engineering teams who can build scalable platforms
- 10+ years of experience in roles relevant to software engineering and development with at least 5 years of professional software engineering experience.
- 3+ years of experience as an engineering manager, particularly in a high-growth environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a bias toward an open, transparent cultural practices
- Experience developing data solutions on Snowflake, Redshift, Azure, or BigQuery
- Experience with developing and maintaining custom or structured ETL processes and data pipelines
- Experience working with large disconnected datasets and help teams extract value from them
- Experience working with cloud services such as AWS, Google Cloud, Azure