Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
We are looking for an ambitious, hard working, and collaborative accountant to join our growing accounting and finance organization, and meaningfully add to the finance foundation of this young philanthropic organization. This role will initially focus on internal and external reporting. Reporting is an integral part of CZI as it is the basis of measurement for past goals and a tool for setting future goals. In addition to reporting, this individual will also work on developing and documenting Company policies and procedures using their knowledge of technical and operational accounting, as well as a variety of ad hoc reporting and related analysis.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual close packages including reconciliation compilations, actuals variance analysis, and budget to actual analysis
- Improve efficiency and automation of reporting using Workday functionality
- Craft documentation for all current and future accounting policy and procedures
- Analysis, conclusion, and implementation of new accounting guidance
- Analysis of accounting treatments and basic valuations for venture or similar investments
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, including supporting slide presentation and preparation for review by the organization's leaders.
- Coordination with auditors on annual audit
- Grant reporting and reconciliation process- compilation of multiple entity activities and multiple systems
- Assist in Workday consolidations process
- Run special projects as necessary
- Work with multiple functions across the company such as FP&A, Procurement, Facilities, and other operations teams
- Work with and manage relationships with external partners and consultants
- Bring consultative insights on areas of internal financial controls design and implementation
- 5-6 years of public accounting and/or large public company experience in a technical or corporate accounting role
- Experience in interpreting, documenting, and applying accounting guidance
- Experience with technical writing (i.e. memorandums)
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a quickly changing and evolving environment