Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds
Meta's Application Services Team (APS) builds and supports meta.org, enabling researchers to access our comprehensive knowledge graph of scientific, with features and tools, to help them discover new research and stay up to date.
Members of the team have a direct impact on all features of Meta and its products to accelerate science and literature discovery. In this role, you will work closely with other APS team members, product team, research science team, and with our analytics team to design, build and support technical solutions. You will also support us in our ongoing goal of cultivating a culture of shared best practices and knowledge around application engineering.
- Lead designing, building, analyzing and improving the efficiency, stability, and resiliency of the application system.
- Partner directly with product managers and engineering leaders to create feature and technical road maps
- Provide technical mentorship to junior and intermediate engineers
- Collaborate with the shared infrastructure team and evangelize best practices in the team
- 8+ years relevant coding experience
- Experience designing, building and supporting distributed systems & microservice architectures.
- Experience with an object-oriented or functional languages such as Scala, Java, Kotlin
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python & Bash
- Experience with RDMS & NoSQL database, including Cassandra, DynamoDB, MySQL & PostgreSQL
- Experience with search technologies like Lucene, SOLR, ElasticSearch and CloudSearch, Amazon Web Services (AWS) or similar cloud providers
- Experience with Terraform, Docker, Travis CI, Jenkins, and other infrastructure/CI tools
- Experience with Cloud services such as Split, Segment, Snowflake, Auth0, Snyk and Mode
- Experience with setting up monitoring and metrics on live production systems a plus
- Experience with Machine learning and building ML pipelines a plus