Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. In science, we believe that the complexity and scale of scientific knowledge is limiting how quickly researchers can understand, navigate and quickly make powerful connections across what is known to solve problems and generate hypotheses.
The head of Product Management will lead the team working on helping researchers accelerate scientific discoveries by defining, planning, and launching Meta, a free “Spotify for biologists.” Meta brings the best of machine learning/natural language processing to a consumer-quality, design-forward, personalized feed product to help scientists stay on the leading edge of science. If you are mission-driven and committed to helping accelerate science at scale, join us!
The position is full-time and based in our Redwood City headquarters.
- Lead a team of product managers through product launch & growth
- Champion a product vision and strategy for accelerating scientific research outcomes at scale
- Refine and drive team process for setting goals and metrics, defining product roadmaps, and tracking progress
- Drive product development with a team of world-class engineers, machine learning researchers, data scientists, designers, user experience researchers, marketers, and biologists
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with a diverse set of teammates and partners (internal and external)
- Integrate insights from data analysis, usability studies, research, and market analysis into product requirements
- 10+ years product management experience for technology products
- 5+ years experience as a people manager
- Experience with a content-centric product that is expert-curated, machine-curated and/or personalized
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, launch, and iterate/improve on compelling products for scientists or consumers
- Exceptional analytical skills, including proficiency in hypothesis-driven A/B testing to drive product changes
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills across a broad set of cross-functional partners
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fluid environment
- Preferably a background in biology, life sciences, scientific analytics or publishing