Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
At CZI we want to be a part of creating a future where every person can enjoy meaningful work, take care of their families, and live in a just society. Our work focuses on finding ways to strengthen our communities and help more families get ahead. We support organizations and partners working in Criminal Justice Reform, Housing Affordability, and Immigration Reform.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
As a Senior Software Engineer, for the Criminal Justice program of the Justice & Opportunity Initiative, you will build technology products for communities, advocates, and practitioners within the criminal justice system. In this role you will help set the early foundation for a suite of criminal justice products. The suite of products will include:
- Tools to support reform-minded prosecutors and improve prosecutorial decision-making
- Applications to support our growing portfolio of second chances work, including our recently announced Clean Slate agenda.
Furthermore, you will provide technical leadership in partnership with Measures for Justice, academic researchers, and practitioners to design and launch an open data platform to help advance research, advocacy, and accountability for criminal justice reform. Read more about how CZI is thinking about the intersection of criminal justice and technology.
- Apply expert software development skills to a wide range of coding projects
- Build ad-hoc technology tools for external partners
- Suggest, collect and synthesize requirements and build effective project roadmap
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, PHP, Ruby, and shell scripts
- Experience with front-end web development technologies (familiarity with Django is a plus)
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Experience developing and debugging in C/C++ and Java is a plus
- Experience in one or more of the following areas a plus: machine learning, recommendation systems, pattern recognition, large-scale data mining, artificial intelligence, filesystems, server architectures, and distributed systems
- Proven ability to independently define project requirements and ship products