Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
You will be a key member of CZI’s growing Legal team focused on contracts management. You will partner with every initiative and team across CZI and help us administer and execute contracts critical to the success of our program objectives and operational goals. In addition to working with educators, scientists, and changemakers to help CZI achieve its ambitious mission, you will also partner with infrastructure engineering to design and manage our org-wide contracts management systems, policies, and processes. If you are a mission-oriented, systems-driven thinker who enjoys creating efficiencies, building scalable processes, and collaborating across multiple functions, you will fit right in. Come help us reimagine technology-focused philanthropy! We can’t wait to hear from you.
- In partnership with the Director, Legal-Commercial, build, maintain, and improve org-wide contracts management systems, policies, and processes, with the goals of increasing efficiency, managing legal and business risk, and scaling for the long-term and across diverse teams. This includes utilizing a Salesforce-based system to capture metrics and identify patterns of engagement.
- Create, update, and conduct contracts training for internal partners (including on the CZI contracts management systems, policies and processes).
- Interface regularly with our internal partners on contracts-related questions and tasks and use discretion and priority setting skills to escalate as necessary.
- Project manage the allocation of external legal resources (e.g. outside counsel) to a high volume of CZI projects with quick turnaround times. Conduct contracts training for external legal resources (including on the CZI contracts management systems, policies and processes), guide them through such systems, policies and processes, and manage and address their escalations.
- Create and update contracts resources, including integrating new terms into templates, deciding documents best suited for internal client requests, and process documentation.
- Proactively identify solutions to recurring requests and inefficient processes to drive scale across the organization.
- Contribute to general team and organizational operations, including taking on special projects or backfilling other functions, as necessary.
- 5+ years of in-house experience; you ideally will have prior contract management experience at a rapidly scaling employer.
- Experience with contracts management tools (e.g., Salesforce, SpringCM, DocuSign) and highly comfortable and adaptive to an array of technology tools (e.g. Slack, Microsoft Word, Google Suite products).
- Excellent written and oral communications skills (e.g., to communicate clearly about contracts with legal and non-legal partners).
- Excellent organizational skills and a passion for developing systems, policies, processes, and trainings to drive efficiencies.
- The ability to work within a highly matrixed and growing organization in a rapidly changing and continuously evolving environment.
- A learning and growth mindset coupled with humility and mission-oriented sensibilities.
- Experience and/or passion in education, science, or social justice spaces.
- Sense of humor, initiative, and an ability to roll up your sleeves while thinking strategically and creatively.