Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
As an Event Coordinator, you will assist in executing on exciting events throughout three CZI buildings. You will get to build a memorable experience while having the opportunity to work with multiple teams within the overall Chan Zuckerberg team. Do you enjoy coordinating logistics? Planning and organizing? Working with a budget? Are you full of creative ideas? We want to hear from you!
- Work closely with the Event Manager to help schedule, plan, and execute meetings, happy hours and miscellaneous event support
- Serve as first or second point of contact for meeting requestors and attendees
- Track event production, working with the CZI requestor to develop a plan coordination, room layout, catering support, security and A/V needs
- Lead event logistics, including set up and breakdown with help from other facilities members
- Run catering, check-in processes, room layouts, materials/decoration support and budget tracking
- Establish and foster relationships with various vendors and assist with vendor negotiations and event contract procedures
- Develop plans and timetables to ensure that meetings are implemented on a timely basis and executed within established budgets
- Partner with the A/V and security team to confirm needs for each event
- Track and gather results from each event in a timely manner and incorporate key learning in event recaps to develop successful future events
- Support broader organizational goals at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, including weekly meeting with Facilities team to assess priorities and lead projects, and supporting other high-priority projects as needed
- 2+ years of experience planning and executing events
- An enthusiastic and effective presence with the ability to be flexible with change while remaining calm and thinking quick on your feet when issues arise
- Capable of troubleshooting throughout events
- Thorough comprehension of the principles and best practices of event management
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to establish priorities, handle shifting priorities, and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines
- Excellent social, communication, time management, and customer service skills. Must be highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization as well as with external partners, vendors and service providers
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google suite and Salesforce
- Results-driven, strong sense of urgency and follow-through