Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Director of Brand Marketing & Creative role will provide overall external marketing and creative strategy for CZI and lead the organization’s new and growing brand and creative team. This role will help lead a small (but mighty!) team of talented Brand & Creative professionals to help up-level our creative work and to ideate, develop, and execute groundbreaking social impact campaigns that further our organization’s goals across the breadth of our work -- including our Science, Education, Justice & Opportunity and Community-giving portfolios.
- Lead overall external brand marketing and creative strategy -- and execution of these strategies for CZI.
- Lead and develop CZI’s small, but talented team of in-house creative and brand professionals, including building creative team culture and providing mentorship and career development and guidance
- Develop brand and creative strategies that bring CZI’s campaigns and impact to the next level -- including the development of thoughtful, 360 brand campaigns that support our organizational and Initiative goals
- Oversee and lead the development of CZI’s owned channels (email, web, campaigns) -- with a focus on improving awareness, engagement, and impact.
- Significantly up-level our creative and content campaigns at CZI, so that our creative not only stands out -- but is effective and impactful in a noisy media landscape.
- Work closely as a partner with the Director of Social Media to help build unique, shareable creative campaigns that grow engagement across our social channels.
- Drive the development of unique creative strategies to shift public opinion and move advocacy networks in support of our key issues
- Develop informed and unique creative briefs, build creative ideas and new narratives, select and actively manage agency partners and internal teams, and also be able to “get your hands dirty” to often manage shoots, production, messaging, concepting and execution details directly, given our lean team.
- Oversee Brand team budget and strategy, and ensure accountability across teams and external partners.
- Drive strategic, creative partnership opportunities: Explore, ideate, test and build partnerships that further our goals by shifting narratives
- 12+ years of playing a lead role in building brand marketing and creative campaigns and teams for a combination of high-profile consumer facing brands, philanthropies, and social impact/advocacy organizations.
- Highly creative individual who has a demonstrated ability to lead, ideate, and successfully execute memorable and impactful brand and creative campaigns -- portfolio of work will be requested.
- Demonstrated ability to concept creative independently or within small teams (i.e. without enormous teams, budgets and agency partners).
- Built marketing campaigns across diverse subject matter areas -- and ability to work with diverse teams, from academics and scientists, to advocates, to teachers, and engineers.
- Ability to build unique media and brand partnerships that further an organization’s strategic goals.
- Familiarity with earned media heavy environments preferred (experience with earned media driven campaigns versus organization’s with large paid media budgets).
- Highly creative and outside-the-box thinker when it comes to events, campaigns and partnerships.
- Demonstrated experience managing budgeting and execution for brand marketing teams -- including management of paid media.
- Strong grasp of marketing analytics, best practices and tools (CRM, owned channel growth and management -- including email and social tools, proficiency with marketing analytics, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience building and managing large-scale creative campaigns, from negotiating and managing creative agencies and teams to drive their best work, to budget oversight, to pitching and shepherding approvals through diverse stakeholders.
- Strong judgement and experience with crisis communications and/or brand marketing in a public or consumer-facing space preferred.