Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
As the Digital and Video Content Producer, you will sit at a pivotal role between creative direction and production for a small and busy team. Reporting to the Creative Director, Design and Brand, you will play a key role at the creative strategy table when the team collaborates with other parts of CZI to ideate and concept campaigns that will support our work. You will be passionate about thinking outside the box in terms of creative strategy and storytelling to support a diverse and entirely new kind of social-impact focused organization, but be equally game to be hands-on in building our multimedia, video, and interactive content (from ideation, through to execution). For larger campaigns and projects, this role will be supported by agencies, for pro/post-pro, and you will help manage and be the main POC for these agency partnerships. You will, however, often find that the quick turnarounds of some projects (very akin to a fast-growth startup or mid-size creative agency) are best handled personally, and you enjoy – even relish – these opportunities to roll up your sleeves, dig in, and keep your production and post-production skills up to date.
- Produce a wide range and high volume of short video content pieces (typically 30 seconds to 2 minutes in length) covering topics across all CZI initiatives -- leading from ideation through to execution.
- Lead production and post-production for video content within the Brand Creative team, both as a hands-on producer/videographer as well as a strategic partner in ideation.
- Edit and guide post-production in a timely manner, including providing multiple cuts of single pieces for use in social media and targeted campaigns.
- Manage multimedia asset library, including archiving, naming conventions, RAID, and transcription library.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and secured with the CZI Creative Studio, including editing bays, audio booth, video studio, and photo studio.
- Manage equipment and software subscription budget to any broken, lost or damaged equipment is repaired or replaced, and make suggestions for new purchases to increase our scope and turn times vs. rentals or agency activation.
- Leverage and manage external video production agencies as-needed for larger or higher-volume projects.
- Direct live action plus animated short-length video content pieces for a variety of media (social, website, events, etc.).
- Work with our copywriter, social media director, and communications directors to build out treatments for video ideas, create scripts and shot lists, and manage a production schedule.
- Guide the production of externally-produced pieces, from animated shorts to documentary-style clips, social cuts, ad spots, web series, and interview bits.
- Help identify compelling story ideas and filter what should/shouldn’t be produced as a video segment vs. graphic design, infographic, still photos, or other content format.
- Travel a lot! So grab your favorite frequent flyer card and a sturdy suitcase – we’ll keep your desk warm while you’re on the road getting “the shot” (this also means occasionally working outside of “normal” hours to accommodate for travel and shooting schedules).
- 5-7 years experience in creative producer role at an agency, a television/film/web streaming studio, or full-service video production house
- Strong storytelling skills through the medium of videography
- Exceptional technical skills across photography, videography, lighting, sound design, editing, animation, location shooting, set design, and post-production (editing, coloring, audio engineering, titles, graphics, etc.)
- Ability to excel at managing multiple projects at the same time
- A deep understanding of the post-production pipeline
- High comfort level with being either a one-person show (hit the road, grab the footage, edit on your laptop, and send it back to our social media team for distribution), or as a key player or leader on a large-ish (20+ ppl) team, comprised of internal executives, cross-functional stakeholders, grantee partners, and external production agencies supporting the piece.
- Comfort and interest in exploring creative ways into complex, sensitive and divergent issue areas — from scientific research, to new learning models in education, to housing and criminal justice reform.