We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
As a Data Science Intern for the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, you will support the work of our Education or Centralized data teams. You will assist with their data needs, gather useful data sets, and then partner with stakeholders to identify the right metrics to track progress, define and evaluate metrics, and/or help automate measurement.
Interested in learning more about CZI’s Technology? Check out our blog here.
- Source data and write pipelines to transform and surface key usage data
- Implement, test, and evaluate applied research experiments and engineering solutions following rigorous methodology
- Take problems defined by business goals or customers, formulate an approach, collect and transform data, evaluate and iterate on the solutions
- Ensure metrics are displayed accurately and in timely fashion in dashboards
- Present data summaries, metrics, and analysis to stakeholders
You have or are
- Pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Math, Statistics, or a related field and will have time remaining in school after your summer internship (graduate degree preferred)
- The ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during the Summer 2019
- Experience coding in languages like Python, SQL, and/or R
- Knowledge of modern data science tools and techniques
- Experience solving data-driven problems, including problem definition, data exploration, solution proposal, implementation, testing, and evaluation
- Communication and organizational skills