Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
In Education, we aim to ensure all young people have the knowledge, skills, habits, and agency they need to thrive in an ever changing world. Through grantmaking, impact investments and research and engineering we are partnering with students, educators, and parents to build and support tools and programs that make it easier to apply the science behind how people learn and develop to education. An example of our work is our partnership with Summit Learning -- a personalized approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life.
We’re looking for a Product Design Manager passionate about the intersection of education and technology to join our product design team. As an experienced Manager of designers, you will grow, manage, and mentor a team who is responsible for designing and delivering our core platform experience. You will collaborate with cross-functional leadership and external partners in shaping the delivery of products that impact student outcomes. As part of our education team you will support the development of the Summit Learning Platform in conjunction with Summit Learning Program.
Our education design team is responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
The platform you will help design will be used by teachers and students within the Summit Learning Platform. Summit Public Schools launched their first school with the belief that all students should be equipped with the skills and habits to lead the lives they want. Students graduating from their schools will obtain a deep understanding of how they learn best and a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life. Its schools are consistently ranked among the top in the country and ninety-eight percent of graduates are accepted into at least one four-year college.
If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
- Lead, develop, mentor and inspire a design team. This requires setting clear goals, managing project loads and allocating design team members, ensuring deadlines are met and setting up team members for overall success
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, engineering, data science, and Summit Learning Program leadership to ensure a smooth product development process
- Guide the team in creating a cohesive product vision while also helping the team think through more nuanced design decisions
- Guide the team to develop best practices for ensuring a high bar of quality by both implementing strategies and demonstrating strong visual and interaction skills
- Recruit new team members and actively participate in the hiring process
- Execute in a fast-paced and fluid environment
- 3+ years of experience building and managing product designers.
- 4+ years of design experience
- Combined 8-10 years of user research, product design and interaction design experience
- Demonstrated experience with end-to-end product design, specifically on enterprise software or large platforms with multiple teams contributing to a single experience
- A portfolio of design work executed by yourself or a team you led, that showcases exceptional product design on successful products
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, launch, and iterate/improve on compelling products
- Proficiency in communicating with quantitative and qualitative data to influence product strategy and the larger organization
- Strong communication and presentation skills across a broad set of cross-functional partners
- Empowers team members to work autonomously, but willing to contribute to projects as needed
- Demonstrated source of inspiration within the organization and larger design community
- Strong advocate for design and willing to have difficult conversations to drive design excellence across the organization
- Drive to care deeply about team members and challenge them directly to inspire their best work
- Passionate about impacting the future of education
- You thrive in fast-paced, growing organizations