Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
In Education, we aim to ensure all young people have the knowledge, skills, habits, and agency they need to thrive in an ever changing world. Through grantmaking, impact investments and research and engineering we are partnering with students, educators, and parents to build and support tools and programs that make it easier to apply the science behind how people learn and develop to education. An example of our work is our partnership with Summit Learning -- a personalized approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life.
We’re looking for a team leader passionate about innovation in education work to join our product design team. We are expanding our product applications and we need your help to explore new directions in our offerings. You will work both directly on research and product design projects as well as manage a small team that will help set our growth and product expansion trajectory. This means being both a strong individual contributor as well as being an inspirational leader that will help us define how we approach innovation projects. You will help guide the team’s work strategically and take on strategic forward-facing projects of your own.
As a part of our education team, your work will help support the growth and development of the Summit Learning Platform in conjunction with our partners in the Summit Learning Program.
Our education design team at-large is responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
- Lead, develop, mentor and inspire a design team. This requires setting clear goals, managing project loads and allocating design team members, ensuring deadlines are met and setting up team members for overall success.
- Partner closely with a cross-functional team to clearly understand human needs, generate meaningful future-facing product ideas and measure the impact of those ideas
- Take expansive approaches to ideation but pragmatic and iterative approaches to wireframing and prototyping
- Use storytelling to communicate new, ambitious design concepts to leadership and partners
- Work on developing a lightweight design system and process standards that support the team at scale
- Design mixed-methods studies to help your teams learn about student/teacher attitudes and behaviors
- Involve team members in generative research to identify high impact problems faced by teachers, students, school administrators and parents
- Listens, asks the right questions, and effectively conveys ideas to cross-functional teams
- Analyze data and convey insights in clear, illustrative ways that help the team learn about classroom behavior, inspire product strategy and encourage design iteration
- Participate in design critique by sharing and receiving constructive feedback
- 8-10 years of user research and product design experience
- 5-8 years of leading or building design and research teams
- Demonstrated experience with end-to-end product design, specifically on enterprise software or large platforms with multiple teams contributing to a single experience
- Experienced in the process of building and shipping software
- Experience designing for diverse groups of people preferred (international audiences, multi-language localization, accessibility for people with disabilities, etc.)
- Passionate about impacting the future of education. Prior experience working with educators and students preferred
- Willingness to occasionally travel to classrooms and training events to conduct in-context research
- Demonstrated source of inspiration within the organization and larger design community
- Strong analytical thinking, problem-solving and ability to prioritize
- You thrive in fast-paced, growing organizations