Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. In September 2016 we announced Chan Zuckerberg Science, which will support science and technology that will make it possible to cure, prevent, and manage all diseases by the end of the century. Chan Zuckerberg Science will bring scientists and engineers together in new ways and build transformative technologies to advance all of science. As the Event Planner for Science you will organize meetings in the engineering, software and computational biology space, such as hackathons and data-driven workshops.
The Science Meetings Team at CZI works to increase collaboration and dissemination of knowledge within and between scientific communities, and between those communities and CZI. We do this through the planning and execution of meetings, workshops and hackathons, and through the support of collaboration tools. For us, collaboration means recognizing that the challenges in biomedical science are complex and solving them requires different kinds of expertise. It also requires the ability to communicate productively across groups. By bringing the best from different scientific fields together to find new ways to engage, share knowledge and learn, we aim to accelerate the pace of collaboration, and create a scientific community, environment and culture that nurtures biomedical discovery and innovation.
The Event Planner for Science will work closely with the Manager of Scientific Meetings, other Event Planners and members of the broader CZI Science team to help plan and execute technical scientific convenings, such as hackathons, data-driven workshops, computational biology meetings and other events. This includes coordinating event logistics, communicating with participants, preparing meeting materials, managing travel, and more. As this role is part of our Science team, a genuine interest in and affinity for science and the work of CZI Science is strongly preferred.
- Work closely with the Manager of Scientific Meetings to help schedule, plan, and execute workshops, meetings, hackathons, and other convenings in the engineering, software and computational biology space
- Serve as point of contact for meeting attendees and external partners
- Manage event logistics, including registration and attendee tracking, presentation and materials support, travel and lodging management for participants, and budget tracking
- Develop plans and timetables to ensure that meetings are implemented on a timely basis and executed within established budgets
- Help select and evaluate vendors and external partners, and assist with vendor negotiations and event contract procedures
- Run event production and coordination. Set up location, greet guests, coordinate with vendors, and troubleshoot throughout the event
- Support broader organizational goals at the Chan Zuckerberg Science Initiative, including meeting daily/weekly with CZI Science team to assess priorities and manage projects, and supporting other high-priority projects as needed
- 3+ years of experience in planning and executing technical events, such as hackathon planning, technical workshop or conference organization, or in-person community-building activities
- Thorough comprehension of the principles and best practices of event management and operations logistics
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to establish priorities, manage shifting priorities, and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, time management, and customer service skills. Must be highly organized and detail oriented
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization as well as with external partners, vendors and service providers
- Flexibility, integrity, independence, energy, responsibility
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and Google suite. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and project management software is a plus