Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
As the Director of Grants Management, you will lead cross functional grant-making and build and manage a critical part of our operational infrastructure that coordinated and processed over 500 grants across multiple entities in 2018. The Director of Grants Management will also be an organizational thought leader on all philanthropic issues and work cross functionally on strategic grant-making programs. You will be responsible for developing grants management tools and processes that will be deployed across the organization and across our multiple grant-making entities. These functions are critical to helping us engage closely with our grantee network, and also ensuring we can measure and monitor our impact in various grant-making areas. We are looking for someone who can be both strategic and hands-on, to partner with internal and external leaders in building an effective and best in class system for grants management.
- Ensure all CZI and affiliated entity grants are made in a timely and compliant manner
- Lead the grants management team, including working closely with Grants Managers on professional development goals and cross-functional projects
- Continuously improve grants policies and procedures with an emphasis on building and scaling infrastructure through efficiently operated systems and processes
- Develop a compliance program and tools for grants, including support for legal and financial compliance
- Play a key role in building practices for measuring impact across investment areas through partnership with data and research teams, including data analysis of completed grants
- Partner with the finance team to forecast and track grant payments across strategic areas and liaise with partners to plan for appropriate cash flow and ensure timely payments of grants
- Continue to iterate on processes to manage the full life cycle of a grant, from diligence processes through final reporting in order to create and maintain accurate electronic grant files while maintaining consistency across the organization
- Manage roadmap planning for grants database, including continually evaluating technology tools for grant-making in partnership with IT and establishing system priorities
- Provide grant-making and grants compliance training to staff
- Produce reports for internal and external use as needed by leadership and staff
- Positively contribute to a continuously evolving work environment that values teamwork and humility
- 7+ years in a grant management role; 2+ years management experience
- Proven track record of scaling operations for long term growth
- Familiarity with common grant-making tools and processes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to take prompt action to identify issues and opportunities related to grant-making processes
- Knowledge of IRS grants compliance rules and regulations; experience with regulations specific to multiple types of charitable structures, including 501(c)(4)s, private foundations, public charities, and donor-advised funds preferred
- Project management experience demonstrating the ability to execute a wide variety of tasks to achieve intended results while meeting all deadlines and budget requirements
- Creative thinker who enjoys solving and collaborating on complex issues
- Exceptional data analysis skills
- Highly detail-oriented
- Process and operations-driven mindset
- Experience working with databases, spreadsheets, and technology related to grant-making (preference for familiarity with Salesforce)
- Experience in the broader philanthropic field with the ability to contribute to industry-specific organizations and represent CZI with external stakeholders