Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
We are looking for a data science manager passionate about education and leveraging data to help drive continuous improvements in our education system. You will collaborate with the curriculum, professional development, product, engineering, and design teams to determine the analytic and data needs of the initiative and manage a team of data scientists to deliver on those needs. As a part of the education team you will support multiple product efforts, including the development, assessment, and improvement of the Summit Learning Platform, in conjunction with Summit Public Schools.
Our education team is responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
The platform you will help design will be used by teachers and students within Summit’s network. Summit launched its first school with the belief that all students should be equipped with the skills and habits to lead the lives they want. Students graduating from their schools will obtain a deep understanding of how they learn best and a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life. Its schools are consistently ranked among the top in the country and ninety-eight percent of graduates are accepted into at least one four-year college.
If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
- Lead the data science group to empower data-informed decision making about the Summit Education Platform and our broader education initiative -- to understand product, growth & engagement; identify areas of opportunity; and positively impact students and the education system.
- Grow the team through hiring and career development
- Derive deep (quantitative and qualitative) insights around product use, quality, and performance across a variety of touch-points and data sets.
- Support product team with analysis to inform decision making with reports and presentations.
- Inform, influence, and execute new strategies and tactics using sound analysis and impact metrics to support your positions.
- Partner with stakeholders across the team to understand the goals of developing new and existing projects, develop a data strategy, and own the end-to-end execution.
- Experience leading and managing a team of data scientists, product analysts, and/or business analysts.
- Comprehensive knowledge of modern data science and product/visualization analytics tools and techniques, with excellent coding skills (e.g., in Python or R) and experience using tools like Snowflake Computing, Mode Analytics, and Peri.
- Extensive quantitative and statistical analysis experience - building product intuition, solving problems using data, and providing practical business insight using data.
- Ability to communicate key analytical insights to audiences of varying levels of expertise; from those with no statistical training or knowledge to those with extensive analytic and data science backgrounds.
- Experience implementing, testing, and evaluating applied research experiments and engineering solutions following rigorous methodology.
- Experience solving data driven problems, including problem definition, data exploration, solution proposal, implementation, testing, and evaluation.
- Experience in working with stakeholders to define needs and scope projects. These stakeholders will include subject matter experts, product managers, engineers, and designers.
- Advanced training in, and strong knowledge of, the fundamentals of Statistics, Computer Science, Math, or related fields.