Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
In this role, you will partner with engineers, product managers, data scientists, grant-makers, and policy experts to help make CZI a trustworthy and trusted institution. You will help us build solutions that comply with laws, respect the rights of others, and drive Privacy and Security by design. You will also support our grant-making and investment efforts, work regularly with external partners, and be an early member of the CZI Legal team that helps build the culture of our team and the entire organization. You will report to the VP, Legal (Privacy, Product, and IP).
The ideal person is a mission-oriented builder who enjoys learning, strategic and creative thinking, and collaborating across multiple functions.
- Provide legal and thought leadership on product development, including privacy and security by design
- Be a generalist capable of going wide and deep on all issues of law (e.g. privacy, security, IP, consumer protection, contract, state and federal education regulations) pertaining to your products
- Contribute to CZI-wide product development and privacy and security efforts, including partnering with infrastructure engineers designing systems that support multiple CZI technology initiatives
- Help design, implement, and improve privacy and security diligence and capacity building for grantees and other close partners
- Interface regularly with external partners
- Provide strategic and tactical support for communications and policy engagement efforts
- Partner with and manage outside counsel
- Contribute to general team and organizational operations, including taking on special projects or backfilling other functions, as necessary
- 5+ years of law firm and in-house experience; ideal candidates will have prior product counsel experience at a rapidly scaling employer. Salary and title commensurate with experience.
- Experience with a variety of privacy regulations (e.g. FERPA, COPPA, GDPR, HIPAA etc.)
- Familiarity with and a deep curiosity to learn more about technologies
- Passion for the education space and interest in personalized learning solutions for of K-12
- Sense of humor, initiative, and an ability to roll up your sleeves and get things done while thinking strategically and creatively
- A learning and growth mindset coupled with humility and mission- and team-oriented sensibilities