Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The CZI Community Team is working toward a future for everyone where people have the power to shape their communities. In partnership with local organizations, community leaders, and residents, we work to create greater opportunity for more residents in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our giving locally includes a responsive fund, a focus on homeless children and families, partnerships to improve health and education in the region, and giving in and around Redwood City, where CZI is headquartered.
We are looking for a Manager of Community Affairs to lead the execution of public outreach and community relations in the San Francisco Bay Area. This role is heavily outward facing and highly strategic, joining a team of dynamic and passionate change-makers. You should share our vision for bottom-up, community-informed philanthropy and have the ability to persuasively express that vision with residents, elected officials, local businesses, and other stakeholders. You will be an instrumental member of the team in building CZI’s presence locally.
- Lead community affairs strategy for CZI’s local Bay Area portfolio -- including building and maintaining strategic relationships with grasstops and grassroots leaders within the communities which we serve to advance the Community team’s vision and goals.
- Build awareness of CZI’s mission and work throughout our neighboring communities, through presentations, public speaking, and stakeholder engagement.
- Facilitate staff engagement in and understanding of our local communities through events, volunteering, and other opportunities.
- Develop a portfolio of local and regional giving that supports the needs and interests of the general public within our neighboring communities.
- Identify, sponsor, and execute local events that increase CZI’s visibility and create touchpoints with the public.
- Manage a new community space with programming and events that meet the needs and interests of the community.
- Collaborate across several teams, including the Communications, Creative, and Facilities teams.
- 5-10 years experience in community affairs, community engagement, or community outreach
- Bay Area specific knowledge and relationships, especially within San Mateo County preferred
- Events/PR experience
- Exceptional public speaking skills
- Relationship and partner management skills
- Project and program management experience