Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grant-making, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The ideal candidates is an experienced communications leader that will support our growing portfolio of Community work. In this role, you will manage all communications and media strategy around CZI’s giving to local communities in need and other causes across the Bay Area. You will also manage our local engagement as active members of the Redwood City community, including strategic messaging and support for events, announcements, and launches.
This role sits on the Communications Team but requires extensive engagement with the Community team and collaboration across a matrixed organization.
- Lead all communications and media strategy around CZI’s Community portfolio -- including developing press plans, talking points, press releases, media strategy and outreach with local and regional press
- Building impactful PR events and opportunities to engage the local community and advance our Bay Area work
- Using communications to amplify the inspiring work of local organizations working to improve the lives of Bay Area residents.
- 7-10 years of experience as a communications leader who has managed the development and execution of creative media strategies for an organization, company or campaign or at an agency.
- Strong relationships with members of the media (preferably Bay Area) and on-the-record experience.
- Managed crisis and sensitive media issues and campaigns.
- Desire to think creatively about ways to reach key stakeholders and local audiences -- including development of unique events and messaging strategies.
- Exemplary written and oral communications skills.
- Experience managing outside agencies or contractors.
- Knowledge of local community landscape, include policy issues, relevant elected officials and community organizations preferred.
- Passion for local community engagement and interest in regularly attending local events on behalf of CZI.