Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Brand and Communications Intern will gain experience telling the story of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the work we do alongside partners, and connecting with audiences across our channels. Reporting to the Brand Manager, this role will work collaboratively with brand, communications, and creative team members to support key campaigns we’re launching and projects that help build our team’s foundation and resources.
The types of projects this intern can expect to work on may include: support website development for new pages, help establish social media guidelines and research key dates and moments to lift up CZI’s partners, create a content library of new and exciting stories to feature across the organization, coordinate news releases and announcements, and/or develop CZI’s email newsletter strategy.
- Partner with internal clients to research and develop best practices for engaging various audiences through social media
- Support grant announcements across various mediums including traditional media, press releases, speaking events, social and digital campaigns, website updates, etc.
- Collaborate with teams across the org to help launch new website pages that feature our projects and employee stories
- Work across teams to identify creative opportunities for content and proactive storytelling for our channels
- Support social media moderation and design guidelines for employee/partner social media engagement
- Create and organize team archives for photography, videos, and written content
- Research best practices and develop a newsletter strategy
- Provide event support
- Participate in and support creative production of various forms where needed
- Pursuing a BS degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or related field
- The ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during the Summer 2019
- Past experience working in the social media and/or digital space such as an internship, part-time work experience, personal projects, academic experience, or volunteer opportunity
- Knowledge and experience with social media and/or digital platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, WordPress, Google Analytics, Pardot/Mailchimp
- Experience managing complex projects
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and follow-through
- The ability to work independently and demonstrated judgement to know when to ask for help
- Comfort with ambiguity in a rapidly changing environment
- The ability to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment