Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
The central technology team works across the company to enable and support all our initiatives. The central data team is a new team focused on measuring the progress and success of our efforts while lending strategic data expertise. Our goals are to support the data needs, gather useful data sets and then partner with stakeholders to identify the right metrics to track and help automate any measurement. We also see an opportunity to serve as consultants by providing our data expertise to project in early stages. Additionally, we will gather relevant data and provide analyses to our Program Managers so they can make more informed decisions quickly around where our grants are most needed and could be most impactful.
- Partner with stakeholders across all initiatives to understand the goals of developing new and existing projects, develop a data strategy, and own the end-to-end execution.
- Develop metrics to measure our progress towards our goals and assess impact of our work.
- Implement, test, and evaluate applied research experiments and engineering solutions following rigorous methodology
- Take problems defined by business goals or customers, formulate an approach, collect and transform data, evaluate and iterate on the solutions
- Keep up to date with advances in the field of measurement and evaluation
- Provide reports and ad-hoc analyses that supports decisions initiative work and internal operations
- Comprehensive knowledge of modern data science tools and techniques
- Experience solving data driven problems, including problem definition, data exploration, solution proposal, implementation, testing, and evaluation
- Excellent coding skills (e.g., in Python or R) with experience building models
- Ability to thrive with minimal direction in a fast-moving, startup-like environment
- Advanced training in, and strong knowledge of the fundamentals of, ML and NLP (M.Sc. minimum, Ph.D. preferred in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related fields)