Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
In this role, you will lead and manage the Meta Infrastructure Engineering team to build out our data ingestion pipeline of millions of scientific journals. You will have the opportunity to work closely with our research, analytics and application teams in delivering Meta.org, a software tool that helps accelerate scientific discovery. If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
- Manage and lead a growing engineering team
- Identify, recruit, hire and onboard top engineering talent
- Collaborate to build engineering culture and best practices
- Work with and effectively manage expectations across both technical and non-technical teams
- Ensure the team’s ability to collect and synthesize project requirements, create effective project roadmaps, and ship high-quality services
- Drive project delivery within established scope and estimated timelines
- 5+ years of experience as an engineering manager, particularly in a high-growth environment
- 5+ years of relevant coding experience
- 3+ years of experience with data-platforms and data-pipelines using big-data technologies like Spark/Hadoop, Kafka and distributed databases
- 2+ years of experience with implementing machine learning algorithms in a production setting
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or Microsoft Azure
- Experience with a systems language such as Java, Scala, C++, C# or Go