Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers can expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research.
As a Meta Research Scientist, you will play a pivotal role in tackling this challenge for 5 million biomedical researchers. Using state of the art Machine Learning (ML) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) tools, you will tackle problems related to the generation of the knowledge graph, personalized recommendations and rankings, search, and building predictive capabilities for Meta and CZI. You will partner with other team members (e.g., other research scientists, domain experts, product managers, user experience researchers, and software engineers) to ensure a high quality product experience for biomedical researchers. If you want to make a difference and help accelerate science with innovative research outcomes, come and join us!
- Conduct applied research and design solutions for processing scientific publications, such as author disambiguation, concept recognition, recommendation systems, enhanced search and personalized ranking systems, relationship extraction, and more
- Implement, test, and evaluate applied research experiments and engineering solutions following rigorous methodology
- Solicit and/or generate detailed requirements and documentation; describe the requirements for data-driven projects using ML methods
- Take problems defined by business goals or customers, formulate an approach, collect and transform data, evaluate and iterate on the solutions
- Work closely with Software Engineers to implement and verify solutions in a production environment
- Provide reports and ad-hoc analyses that supports marketing and product design
- Evaluate and incorporate ML models, algorithms and best practices from academic and industry NLP research community in order to improve the effectiveness of Meta’s content and knowledge graph features
- Keep up to date with advances in ML and NLP, as related to the team’s roadmap
- Contribute to the ML and NLP communities by publishing novel ML models / techniques at appropriate research conferences
- Comprehensive knowledge of modern and leading edge ML tools and techniques
- Experience in building advanced models in one or more of the following ML fields: Recommendations, Knowledge Graph building / completion, Link Prediction, NLP and Information Extraction
- Experience solving data driven problems, including problem definition, data exploration, solution proposal, implementation, testing, and evaluation
- Track record of leading ML projects to produce models for use in scalable, and preferably biomedical, applications and products
- Excellent coding skills (e.g., in Java, Python) with experience building models within deep learning frameworks (e.g., Pytorch, TensorFlow) and using ML/NLP packages (e.g., scikit-learn, Vowpal Wabbit)
- Strong ability to communicate ML methods and outcomes to AI experts, scientists, and technologists in verbal and published form, preferably, at prominent ML and/or NLP conferences
- Ability to thrive with minimal direction in a fast-moving, startup-like environment
- Advanced training in, and strong knowledge of the fundamentals of, ML and NLP (M.Sc. minimum, Ph.D. preferred in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related fields)