Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second-generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socio-economic backgrounds.
We’re looking for a dynamic and experienced manager or senior-level program associate with practice experience as a public defender, criminal defense attorney, prosecuting attorney, or similar experience to drive innovative projects in the work of criminal courts, prosecution, and indigent defense. You will work on an initiative with significant organization-wide visibility and within a highly cross-functional team, including engineers, data scientists, service designers, criminal justice policy experts, advocacy strategists, narrative strategists, grant officers, finance and venture capital experts, and researchers.
Ideally, you have subject matter expertise in criminal justice, arising from your direct practice experience working within the criminal justice system. You preferably have this experience at the state or local level.
We are looking for this person to have a compelling point-of-view on how to define and achieve criminal justice reform, informed by keen awareness of the field and command of the latest policy thinking and research in the Criminal Justice space. Ideally, you also have an interest in and/or hobbies around data, technology, and service design, especially as it relates to the criminal justice space.
- Execute 1-2 fast-moving criminal justice reform projects, with special emphasis on initiatives relating to prosecutors and public defenders.
- Execute various workstreams that ladder up to a priority initiative within the CZI Criminal Justice Reform program.
- Collaborate with prosecutors’ offices, courts, and public defenders on innovative technical, policy reform, or service transformation work
- Engage with academic research partners, evaluating or building technical infrastructures to support key implementation of policy/practice reforms
- Develop success metrics and evaluation against such metrics for various workstreams.
- Graduate degree: JD, MS, MA, MBA, MPA, MIS, etc.
- 4+ years of experience within the criminal justice system as a practitioner and/or leader
- 2+ years of experience managing direct reports in a public, private or not-for-profit org.
- Experience working with or in cross-functional tech, product, and or/data focused teams
- Comfort working in an ambiguous, dynamic environment, where decisions happen fast and we learn by doing
- Collaborated with diverse teams across various geographies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management skills with ability to multi-task across projects
- Exceptional relationship-building skills, organizational awareness, and ability to persuade others, even without direct authority, to accomplish project objectives