The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
We are rapidly growing which is placing new demands on our corporate infrastructure with a desire to build it in unison with production best practices and tools. We're looking for an Infrastructure Engineer who is excited by the challenge of being the first employee responsible for building and securing the underlying systems of our business operations.
This role falls under the Infrastructure organization, which works on building shared tools and platforms to be used across CZI.
- Design, deploy, and operate our corporate infrastructure and underlying systems which enable our business operations
- Own the technical decisions surrounding our corporate infrastructure and provide technical guidance to the team
- Lead corporate engineering efforts to mitigate and investigate security incidents while continuously hardening our infrastructure
- Actively participate within our broader Infrastructure organization's production engineering efforts
- Build tools and systems to bridge the gaps between existing solutions or in areas where they just fall short
- Provide 24x7 on-call support within the team's rotation
- Experience designing, deploying, and operating corporate/IT infrastructure across Linux and Windows environments
- Relevant coding experience with a language such as Go, PHP, or Python
- Experience managing infrastructure within Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or Microsoft Azure
- Experience with Terraform is a plus
ABOUT THE CHAN ZUCKERBERG INITIATIVE
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.