Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Our mission is to create a future for everyone. Across our three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grant-making, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Corporate Systems team is responsible for configuring, maintaining, and securing the systems that power CZI’s IT infrastructure. As a System Administrator on the team, you will work cross-functionally within CZI’s Infrastructure team, and across the organization, to deploy modern enterprise systems that drive the work behind our mission. This role falls under the Infrastructure organization, which works on building shared tools and platforms used across all of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.
- Design, build, manage, and actively support our Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, ChromeOS, and Windows deployments using a combination of Open Source and commercial technologies
- Be responsible for technical decisions surrounding our client platform engineering efforts
- Actively participate within our broader Infrastructure organization's server management engineering efforts including directly managing server infrastructure supporting corporate systems
- Use data to ensure that our end user devices are secure and that the people using them are highly productive
- Partner with other Infrastructure teams on efforts like device trust, employee tools, authentication, and authorization
- Build tools and systems to bridge the gaps between existing solutions or in areas where they just fall short
- Build operationally focused tools to improve efficiency around the most common requests and incidents
- Participate in on-call rotations
- 5+ years of experience working in the following areas:
- Managing client systems in a cross-platform environment (macOS, Windows, Linux, ChromeOS)
- Deploying and managing Mobile Development Management systems such as AirWatch, Jamf, Microsoft Endpoint Manager, or MobileIron (experience working with common monitoring and configuration management tools such as Chef or Puppet is a plus)
- Managing and integrating SaaS applications such as OKTA, Duo, G Suite, and Office 365
- Familiarity with scripting and automation using languages such as Bash, PowerShell, and/or Python
- Demonstrated ability of managing enterprise systems in AWS, GCP, Kubernetes, or Azure is a plus
- Empathy for end users, passion for frictionless experiences, and a pulse for the future of client engineering
- Demonstrated willingness to get your hands dirty and do whatever it takes to achieve the team's end goals