We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI seeks an Operations Associate to act as a strategic partner to Justice & Opportunity Initiative leadership in managing and growing operations to accelerate our work. This person would design, implement, continuously improve, and scale team operations, including finance, grants management, recruiting, hiring, onboarding, and goal-setting.
The right candidate will be adept at navigating a fast-moving startup organization and finding the right balance between structure and flexibility to keep the team moving, and will be excited about playing a critical role in helping our teams scale in people, dollars, disciplines, and focus areas.
- Manage, grow and continuously improve internal operations for CZI’s Justice & Opportunity Initiative and Communications, Advocacy, and Research teams, including budgeting, hiring, contracting, and grants management
- Develop financial management practices for relevant work in partnership with the Finance team, and ensure that projects appropriately plan for expenses and stay in budget
- Execute and improve administrative processes for reviewing, approving, and issuing grants in conjunction with program teams and the CZI Grants Management team
- Support leaders in translating program priorities into budgets and work plans
- Create and implement processes to track key cross-functional projects, partner engagement, grants, contracts, and consultants
- Develop and improve documentation and act as a resource for team members to navigate operations processes across the organization.
- 3+ years professional experience with related operations, project management, or administrative work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience designing, implementing, and improving operational processes based on feedback and data, ideally in a digital-first team using tools such as Google Docs, Salesforce, and Slack
- Proven ability to navigate complex organizations and processes to deliver results
- Ability to work collaboratively to support work across multiple teams and outcomes
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage internal stakeholders at all levels
- Passion for our mission and desire to contribute to an innovative organization that is balancing start-up hustle with long-term impact
- Comfort with ambiguity in a rapidly changing environment - able to flex and adapt when things change last minute while maintaining a strong bias towards action