The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
In this role, you will lead and manage our Infrastructure Engineering team to support our work across the Education, Science, and Justice & Opportunity Initiatives. You will have the opportunity to not only partner with various internal teams, but you will also work with external educators, scientists, researchers, and policymakers. You will work with these stakeholders to define and build projects while supporting the team in building, deploying, and open sourcing software.
- Manage and lead a growing engineering team
- Collaborate across technology teams to identify interesting engineering projects and provide technical evaluation and recommendations
- Map out engineering resource needs and help to establish engineering culture and best practices
- Recruit engineering team members of all levels who design and build tools and libraries, constituting a shared stack for use across 5+ engineering teams
- Ensure the team’s ability to collect and synthesize project requirements, create effective project roadmaps, and ship high-quality products
- 3+ years of experience as an engineering manager, particularly in a high-growth environment
- 6+ years of relevant coding experience
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or Microsoft Azure
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python, PHP, Ruby, or Perl
- Experience with a systems language such as C, C++, C#, Go, Java, or Scal
ABOUT THE CHAN ZUCKERBERG INITIATIVE
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.