Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
We're looking for a Visual Designer passionate about education, design systems and inspiring interfaces to join our design team. We believe students and teachers deserve delightful experiences and your eye for details that matter will help us achieve this. You will work in a cross-functional team with subject-matter experts, product management and engineering to design and build learning experiences.
As part of our education team you will support multiple product efforts, including the development of the Summit Learning Platform in conjunction with Summit Public Schools.
Our education design team is responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
The platform you will help design will be used by teachers and students within Summit’s network. Summit launched its first school with the belief that all students should be equipped with the skills and habits to lead the lives they want. Students graduating from their schools will obtain a deep understanding of how they learn best and a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life. Its schools are consistently ranked among the top in the country and ninety-eight percent of graduates are accepted into at least one four-year college.
If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
- Partner closely with a cross-functional team to clearly understand the goals of an interface to generate beautifully crafted experiences
- Assist the broader design team by executing on precise visual design
- Execute design layout, typography, iconography, color theory, and composition to design UI with artistry, creativity, and mastery
- Execute on all stages of the visual design process from concept to build with engineers
- Push and evolve visual frameworks and patterns based on brand and product goals
- Care deeply about the details and having an exceptional level of fit and finish
- Participate in design critique by sharing and receiving constructive feedback
- Use storytelling to communicate new, ambitious designs to leadership and partners
- collaborate with product designers to bring our design system to life
- 4-6 years of visual design/UI design experience
- Demonstrated experience with creating and using interface style guides and UI patterns
- A portfolio of delightful interfaces and interactions
- Experience with the process of building software and have shipped interfaces
- Deep expertise in at least two of the following: graphic design, fine arts, motion graphics, interface design or branding
- Experience expressing brand identity through product interface
- Collaborative and inclusive spirit
- Listens, asks the right questions and effectively conveys ideas to cross-functional teams
- Experience designing for diverse groups of people preferred (international audiences, multi-language localization, accessibility for people with disabilities, etc.)
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.