The Learning Science team at CZI engages in a variety of activities to increase the use of evidence in the education ecosystem. This includes collaborating with networks of researchers, tool/resource developers, learners, and teachers on evidence-grounded projects in learning and measurement. We are looking for an expert in the area of practical, pragmatic learning measurement and communities of practice in learning measurement to help.
In this role, you will continuously review best practices for the different learning measurement areas (both academic and non-academic) and identify and develop relationships with organizations and individuals with expertise to advance these goals.
You have deep experience applying theoretical best practices in a variety of applied settings, and evaluating whether applications have made good use of those best practices. Since most of the resources to execute plans will be in organizations outside CZI, top candidates need experience and interest in working with internal and external partners in flexible, collaborative and empathetic ways, along with strong communication and writing skills to document how best practices in learning measurement can be used at scale in practical ways.
- Guide and enable the field of education measurement to move toward practical and widely used measures of development/learning for academic and non-academic skills. This includes ongoing conversations with the public and education measurement thought leaders; maintaining relationships with experts in measurement best practices and innovations; creating and executing strategy to engage external parties in high-impact projects (e.g., research, infrastructure, communications projects) toward the goal.
- Maintain working knowledge of best practices in measurement, including evidence-centered design, item development processes, performance-task-based assessment, academic and non-academic evidence collection approaches, validity and reliability evaluations, research design, learning analytics, etc. This includes both maintaining such best practices for use within CZI and its grantee base, and supporting catalogues of best practices to be visible to the whole ecosystem.
- Support the Manager of Learning Measurement with grant portfolio consultation as needed. This includes engaging with potential and current grantees to refine their measurement plans and measurement execution; and connecting field experts to project teams as needed.
- Assist Manager of Learning Research in the operation of the Learning Science group, including strategic planning with the research resources, budget planning, tracking against internal goals, operational intersections with other parts of CZI, and helping manage the overall team
- Ph.D. or equivalent in measurement-related area (e.g., psychometrics, measurement-oriented education psychology, etc.).
- Working knowledge of modern measurement approaches, ideally at scale, including evidence-centered design, item development processes, performance-task-based assessment, academic and non-academic evidence collection approaches, validity and reliability evaluations, research design, learning analytics, etc.
- A love and successful history of enabling others to do great work and bringing together disparate individuals toward common goals.
- Great leadership+listening presence in collaborative learning spaces such as working groups and conferences.
- Large network of contacts within innovative and traditional education measurement circles and experience building coalitions and convenings
- 7+ years managing complex measurement projects — e.g. those with 10+ people. Experience problem-solving at scale on complex measurable deliverables in a fluid environment.
- Strong communication (written and oral) skills and experience with a wide variety of audiences — multiple publications at different levels of sophistication preferred.
- Experience working on measurement in K-12 environments or higher education at scale