In this role, you will continuously review best practices for the different learning measurement areas (both academic and non-academic) and identify and develop relationships with organizations and individuals with expertise to advance these goals.
This person needs deep experience applying theoretical best practices in a variety of applied settings. Since most of the resources to execute plans will be in organizations outside CZI, top candidates need experience and interest in working with internal and external partners in flexible, collaborative and empathetic ways, along with strong communication and writing skills to document how best practices in learning measurement can be used at scale in practical ways.
- Scan and identify best practices in measurement, including evidence-centered design, item development processes, performance-task-based assessment, academic and non-academic evidence collection approaches, validity and reliability evaluations, research design, learning analytics, etc.
- Identify and develop relationships with organizations and individuals with expertise in these areas, and introduce them to project teams to bring their expertise on-board as needed
- Engage with multiple groups proposing work with CZI to refine their measurement plans (both academic and non-academic) to be consistent with best practices, and be realistic and achievable
- Work with the Learning Science program managers and, where required, individual project teams to make sure these plans are well-executed (problem-solving as needed), and communicated clearly and regularly with each other and CZI, and to coordinate their work across CZI on measurement (both academic and non-academic)
- Organize regular reporting on measurement progress metrics — process metrics: how is implementation of best practices proceeding and results metrics: how are interventions affecting learners — from the many projects, tying in with overall strategy of CZI Learning Science goals and metrics
- Work with others at CZI and the Manager, Learning Research on a communications outreach plan, to identify to the ecosystem at large resources for best practice measurement, as well as communicate the progress on work through CZI projects as examples of “how it can be done” at scale
- Assist Manager, Learning Research in the operation of the Learning Science group, including strategic planning with the research resources, budget planning, tracking against internal goals, operational intersections with other parts of CZI, and helping manage the overall team
- Represent CZI at external events
- Ph.D. or equivalent in measurement-related area (e.g., psychometrics, measurement-oriented education psychology, etc.).
- Deep experience (10+ years) with using modern measurement approaches, ideally at scale, including evidence-centered design, item development processes, performance-task-based assessment, academic and non-academic evidence collection approaches, validity and reliability evaluations, research design, learning analytics, etc.
- Strong background (7+ years) managing complex measurement projects — e.g. those with 10+ people.
- Demonstrated background successfully weaving together different external organizations and individuals at varying levels to deliver against plans while maintaining long-term relationships.
- Experience problem-solving at scale on complex measurable deliverables in a fluid environment, with strong people management skills to ensure teams remain productive and engaged as they navigate complexity.
- Strong communication (written and oral) skills and experience with a wide variety of audiences — multiple publications at different levels of sophistication preferred.
- Network of contacts within innovative education measurement circles and experience building coalitions and convenings
- Experience working on measurement in K-12 environments or higher education at scale