Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers can expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research.
As the Product Leader for Personalization & Artificial Intelligence, you will play a pivotal role in tackling this challenge for the world’s 5 million biomedical researchers by giving each one a unique and highly relevant experience in Meta. If you want to make a difference and help accelerate science, come and join us!
- Lead Meta’s strategy, requirements, and technical programs related to a personalized content experience for every researcher in Meta.
- Drive a prioritized implementation of high quality ML/NLP services (e.g. disambiguation, concept recognition, predictions) across Meta’s teams.
- Set the quantitative and qualitative quality standard for all personalization/ML services.
- Evaluate and incorporate best practices, models, and techniques for personalization/ML services including recommendations, collaborative filtering, result rankings, paper “playlists” from consumer software & scholarly literature markets.
- Partner with user experience researchers, product analysts, and our in-house biologists to gather user requirements for new services.
- Partner with Meta’s research scientists and external academic collaborators to ensure that machine learning research goals are aligned with data and algorithm performance requirements.
- Support the culture of experimentation and A/B testing to drive key outcomes.
- 4+ years experience leading and managing large, complex, machine learning, and data-intensive software engineering projects at scale.
- Experience leading personalized applying Natural Language Processing techniques, models and tools at scale to technical text (preferably in the field of biomedicine)
- Up-to-date knowledge of machine learning infrastructure and frameworks.
- Experience evaluating, procuring and enabling implementation of 3rd party machine learning services, frameworks, infrastructure, and training / evaluation data.
- Demonstrated ability to lead via influence in cross-functional environments.
- Excellent communication skills, including communicating technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders / collaborators.
- Organized, methodical and detail oriented, with superior analytical and problem solving skills.
- PhD level background in biomedicine, machine learning, or computer science
- Publications, patents or deep industry experience in machine learning, personalization, knowledge representation and reasoning field
- Experience successfully leading ML applications in highly specialized markets, including enterprise applications with demanding performance requirements.
- Prior experience with consensus-driven technology efforts, for example open source projects or standards-setting organizations
- Familiarity with biomedical research, ontologies, knowledge management and workflow tools