Change.org is searching for an Engineering Manager to help manage project goals, contribute to product strategy, and help develop our Engineering team responsible for our in-house communications platform that is built in Elixir. This platform sends users over a billion messages per month!
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 80m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, 150 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We’re growing quickly, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India.
- Architecture & Design, Performance: Ability to create robust, scalable, and performant cross-systems architecture and influence architectural decisions in a collaborative environment.
- Planning & Execution: Deconstructing projects into a well-defined action plan, and being responsible for its execution.
- Communication: Communicate early and often, sharing ideas, analysis, and information in a direct, articulate manner. Partner and collaborate effectively cross-functionally.
- Management & Mentorship: You’ve helped shape and define other engineers’ growth. Even better if you’ve also been responsible for their growth as their direct manager!
It’s rare that a candidate has a ‘perfect’ set of relevant experiences, we do not expect this, and all candidates are encouraged to apply, even if you are missing some of the items in the list below. Experiences we’ll be looking out for, and which we think will be helpful coming into a role like this are
- 8 years of software engineering experience
- 5 years of experience with full stack web service development
- 3 years of experience in Elixir
- 2 years experience in technical leadership and team management
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time, permanent position, and we are open to people working remote in most cities within the US or Canada. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of!
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. The annual salary of an Engineering Manager is $182,000 USD in San Francisco. In Portland, an annual salary of an Engineering Manager would be $147,500 USD. In exceptional circumstances, we may offer below the listed salary for high potential candidates with less experience, or above it for candidates with significantly more experience.
We anticipate moving very quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
- 45 min interview with our Recruiter
- 1 hour interview with our Sr Director of Engineering
- 1 hour pair programming session with our Staff Software Engineer
- 3 hour virtual onsite with our Product Development team
- 30 min interview with our CTO
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We're actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.