Change.org is searching for a Software Engineering Manager to lead the Supporters Team. You will work on building the major core features and systems that drive petitions' impact to reach victories, including signs, shares and contributions to spread and increase awareness of each cause.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 200m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, 180 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We’re growing quickly, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager who is great at designing and building scalable systems, fostering a craftsmanship culture, growing our engineer careers and has a passion for expanding our platform to mobilize hundreds of millions of people to take deeper civic action.
Our team of 15+ Engineers is responsible for designing and building the major core features and systems that drive petitions impact to reach victories. Our users are petition supporters who sign, share and contribute financially to spread and increase awareness of each cause. This hire will be expected to be located in Seattle, Washington (remote) or at our Victoria, Canada office (we support relocation) and report to our Director of Engineering.
As a key member of our team, you’ll :
- Hire engineers and grow skills of the engineering team
- Deliver impactful products
- Build user facing features at scale to Improve engineering productivity and quality
The most important capabilities for the role are:
- Strategy and vision: Ability to articulate engineering goals and develop supporting strategies in order to achieve high quality results. Able to anticipate operational needs and risks and craft appropriate roadmaps at the team level.
- Management: Ability to hire and define quarterly objectives, coach, mentor and grow engineers, define team organization. You'll need to hire and grow a team of 4+ Engineers.
- Coding/architecture skills: Full stack mindset, with experience on the backend. - Confident with different technologies, languages and frameworks in all layers of the webstack, from frontend to backend with an emphasis on Node.js, Ruby/Rails and AWS. You are hands-on, you code, test and monitor with the team.
- Planning and execution: Ability to devise roadmap, mitigating risks and considering tradeoffs, so that you can execute in a timely manner and with quality, or change directions as needed. You will be in charge of defining your team OKRs and weekly goals.
Target background experience:
- 8+ years of software engineering experience
- 2+ years of direct management experience (2+ direct reports)
Additional experience we look for:
Experience working with different technologies, languages and frameworks (from front-end to devops). We use Rails, NodeJS, Elixir. It’s rare that a candidate has a ‘perfect’ set of relevant experiences, we do not expect this, and all candidates are encouraged to apply, even if you are missing some of the items in the list above.
About our Engineering team:
Our team of 60+ engineers (San Francisco, Victoria) are committed to lean and agile development, have recently transitioned to an autonomous team structure, and leverage modern web technologies (we recently built a new high-volume communications stack using Elixir, migrated our front end to React, and began decoupling our services with an event-driven architecture). We are 100% cloud-based through AWS.
We value software craftsmanship, a continuous improvement mindset, and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. For example, an annual salary of an Engineering Manager would be $164,000 or Senior Engineering Manager would be $191,500 in Seattle. In exceptional circumstances, we may offer below the listed salary for high potential candidates with less experience, or above it for candidates with significantly more experience.
We anticipate moving very quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
- 30 min interview with our Recruiter
- 75 min interview with our Director of Engineering
- 3 hour virtual onsite with our Director of Engineering and 2 Engineering Managers (includes pair programming)
- 30 min interview with our CTO
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process. Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.