Change.org is searching for a Technical Lead to create technology-powered tools that empower organizers to run effective campaigns and gather the support they need to create change.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 50m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, hundreds of millions of signatures per year, 200 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We are profitable, growing fast, and executing on a plan to deepen and scale the social movements on our platform, from strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; to bringing down the price of insulin across the United States; to fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil. We are seeing surging levels of activity right now as the world mobilizes to fight Coronavirus and the cascading impacts of the Coronavirus on society's most vulnerable.
We are looking for a Technical Lead who is great at building engaging user experience at scale, leading projects, mentoring engineers, and working cross-functionally to make organizers successful on our platform.
As a key member of our Engineering team, you’ll:
- Build product features through coding and architecting scalable solutions
- Establish best practices in code and architecture, within the team and across the engineering organization
- Mentor other engineers to level up the team
- Participate in all stages of product development: opportunity assessment, ideation, discovery, validation, solutioning and definition, building, measuring, scaling
- Collaborate cross-functionally to create a great product
- Debug issues across the stack
Some example projects that our team has worked on or you’ll be a part of:
- A campaign hub where petition starters can view the latest stats and development on their petition and take action to engage with supporters and grow their petition
- A custom URL tool for petition starters to create short and memorable URLs to promote their petition - the system that powers this tool withstands hundreds of thousands of usages each day worldwide
- Helping petition starters understand the Promotion product on Change.org through features that provide a free trial and historical data results
- An advice framework that gives the most useful piece of advice for the petition starter at that moment given their petition characteristics and where they are on the campaign journey
The most important capabilities for the role are:
- Frontend skills (React.js, Typescript, GraphQL): Skilled to expert level with React. Experience with Typescript and GraphQL or similar technologies on production systems.
- Technical Leadership: Ability to break down vague product requirements and piece together comprehensive plans to allow for full team execution.
- Coaching & Mentorship: You’ve helped shape and define other engineers’ growth. You have demonstrated successful knowledge sharing, adjusting ways based on different audiences.
- Full-stack application development: Ability to work throughout our tech stack (React, Ruby, Elixir) with amplified ability to work on the frontend. Good understanding of web architecture.
- Cross-functional communication & collaboration: Ability to collaborate well with product manager, designer, and stakeholders to create great user experience, creative solutions, and build alignment
- User experience advocacy: Has both passion and past experience in UI/UX. Ability to understand products and users deeply and provide solutions to improve user experience.
- 8 years of software engineering experience
- 5 years of frontend framework experience (e.g. Angular, Vue, Rendr) with 1+ years in React and comfort in the full stack
- 1+ year of tech lead experience
Additional experience we are looking for:
- UX design experience
- Elixir/Ruby experience
It’s rare that a candidate has a ‘perfect’ set of relevant experiences, we do not expect this, and all candidates are encouraged to apply, even if you are missing some of the items in the list above.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time, permanent position, and we are open to candidates in California, Oregon, New York, Washington, and Canada as the role will be remote for the foreseeable future. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of!
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. For example, in San Francisco, an annual salary of a Senior Software Engineer would be $155,000 USD and the annual salary of a Staff Software Engineer would be $182,000 USD. In Portland, an annual salary of a Senior Software Engineer would be $125,500 USD and the annual salary of a Staff Software Engineer would be $147,500 USD. In exceptional circumstances, we may offer below the listed salary for high potential candidates with less experience, or above it for candidates with significantly more experience.
We anticipate moving very quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
-45 min interview with our Recruiter
-1 hour interview with our Engineering Manager
-3 hour virtual onsite with our Product & Development team
-45 min interview with our Director of Engineering or CTO
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. Everyone says this, right? Well, we mean it - we invest in serious programs to bring in and support women and people of color, we have in-person onboarding experiences and affinity groups to help everyone feel included, we regularly celebrate the heritage of all staff, and we believe strongly in consistent, fair, and transparent salary scales to help level the playing field. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.