Change.org is searching for a Head of Security to lead the security team. This individual will work with executives, engineers and employees to drive world class security infrastructure and practices.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 400m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, 180 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years.
We’re growing quickly, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India.
We are looking for a Head of Security who will work with the executives, engineers, and employees at Change.org to drive a world class infrastructure and practices. This person will lead our security team on roadmap, prioritization, daily operations, and the ongoing management of our corporate and site security. They will have a passion for securing our platform in order to mobilize hundreds of millions of people to take deeper civic action.
In this role you have the ability to work remotely from anywhere in North America, (PST time zone preferred) and you will be reporting to our Senior Director Technical Operations
As a key member of our team, you’ll:
- Lead our security team on roadmap, prioritization, daily operations, and the ongoing management of our corporate and site security.
- Recruit, manage, and develop a high performance, globally distributed team of security engineers. Mentor junior engineers and build a diverse talent pool
- Drive the ongoing security of our corporate systems, site infrastructure, CI/CD tool chain and software.
- Work with the Product Development organization to drive security best practices and continuous improvement.
- Move the InfoSec team towards a SCRUM workflow model for projects, drive cross-team implementations, communicate progress and results.
- Be willing and able to jump in to support projects as an individual contributor, or to prototype potential solutions to more difficult problems the infrastructure team is facing.
The most important capabilities for the role are:
People Management, Coaching and Mentorship
- People Management, Coaching and Mentorship: Building a high-performance team, Mentoring employees at all levels, Driving consensus, Conflict resolution, Working with other teams
- Planning & Execution: Thorough understanding of Agile and SCRUM methodologies, Able to break out complex projects with multiple dependencies into Epics, Stories and Tasks, Ability to build and manage roadmaps, Prioritizing work based on business needs and threat priority
- Skills, Architecture & Design, Performance: Deep understanding of & hands-on Expert level experience with; Cloud computing security (AWS), Security tooling (CloudFlare, Guard Duty etc) SEIM and other security tools, Observability, logging and alerting experience (Splunk, CloudTrail, New Relic, SignalFX) Operating system security, Application security
- Communication: Able to articulate complex technical concepts to both engineers and non-technical people, Able to communicate calmly and clearly under pressure
7+ years of Security experience and 3+ years leading a team
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time role that can be based remotely anywhere in North America, (PST time zone preferred). Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of.
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. (For example, an annual salary of a Head of Security is $220,000.00 USD in San Francisco, would be $211,000.00 USD in New York City. Depending upon your city, this midpoint could be a different number. In exceptional circumstances, we may offer below the listed salary for high potential candidates with less experience, or above it for candidates with significantly more experience.
We anticipate moving very quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
Senior Director Technical Operations Interview
Virtual Onsite Interviews
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. Everyone says this, right? Well, we mean it - we invest in serious programs to bring in and support women and people of color, we have in-person onboarding experiences and affinity groups to help everyone feel included, we regularly celebrate the heritage of all staff, and we believe strongly in consistent, fair, and transparent salary scales to help level the playing field. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.
We're committed to protecting your data. To learn more, please review our Change.org Job Applicant CCPA Privacy Notice here.