Change.org is searching for Software Engineers and Senior Software Engineers to expand the growth of our user base through targeted marketing and on-platform conversions of petition starters, as well as craft a delightful user experience and create technology-powered tools to empower petition starters to run effective campaigns.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 50m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, hundreds of millions of signatures per year, 200 staff members, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We are profitable, growing fast, and executing on a plan to deepen and scale the social movements on our platform, from strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa, to bringing down the price of insulin across the United States, to fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil. We are seeing surging levels of activity right now as the world mobilizes to fight the Coronavirus and the cascading impacts of the Coronavirus on society's most vulnerable.
We are looking for both full-stack and front end software engineers who have a passion for using technology to lift the voices of people around the world. Engineers who have solid coding skills, a continuous improvement mindset, and are adaptable and collaborative cross-functionally will be a strong match for this role!
This role is remote for now (Pacfific Time Zone) and will report to our Engineering Manager as a key member of our Starter Growth or Campaign Success squads.
* Contribute to adding or modifying site behavior through coding and estimate level-of-effort and feasibility of engineering tasks
* Work closely and effectively with product management, marketing, and other partners to execute on tactics and strategies to increase quality petitions
* Effectively troubleshoot and build understanding and correctness in tracking data.
* Senior engineers will also perform code reviews, mentor other engineers, and assist with hiring and onboarding of engineering teammates.
The most important skills and capabilities for the role are:
* Coding skills: Able to quickly get up and running to contribute code
* Continuous improvement mindset: Proactively identify and act on improvement for both business metrics and team processes
* Adaptability: Ability to change directions quickly based on shifting needs + embrace challenges and change & leverage setbacks as teaching moments
* Communication & being a team player: Ability to collaborate well cross-functionally and create & participate in a safe space where people are comfortable brainstorming and planning
* Architecture and design: For senior engineers, contribute and lead on architectural decisions that may span multiple systems
- 2 to 6 years of full-stack app development experience (this is not a firm requirement)
- 1 year or more experience with React or Vue
- Bonus: 1 year or more experience in Ruby or Elixir
- Bonus: SEO/SEM experience
- Bonus: Any experience with CMS
- Bonus: Past growth optimization experience
- Bonus: Tech lead experience
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
We are open to engineers who lean more front end or back end, but who are comfortable working across the stack. We have a modern tech stack and build React apps that use GraphQL to hit backend APIs (Ruby & Elixir) deployed in containers to Kubernetes on AWS.
This is a full-time, permanent position, and we are open to candidates in the Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, Victoria, and Vancouver, as the role will be remote for the foreseeable future. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of!
Our compensation philosophy is rooted in pay equity and transparency. Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city as well as role level. For example, the Level 3 salary for Victoria is CAD $100,000 and the Level 4 salary is CAD $124,000. In Vancouver, the Level 3 salary is CAD $103,000 and the Level 4 salary is CAD $127,500.
We anticipate moving very quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
* Interview with our recruiter (45 minutes)
* Technical screening with our Engineering Manager (1 hour)
* Pair programming session (1 hour)
* Virtual on-site interviews with our Senior Director of Engineering, Engineering Manager and Staff Engineer (2 hours)
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. Everyone says this, right? Well, we mean it - we invest in serious programs to bring in and support women and people of color, we have in-person onboarding experiences and affinity groups to help everyone feel included, we regularly celebrate the heritage of all staff, and we believe strongly in consistent, fair, and transparent salary scales to help level the playing field. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.