The Change.org Foundation empowers millions of people to use technology to build social movements and create transformational change. Our mandate is to deepen and expand positive social impact driven by regular citizens who are most impacted by issues.
We currently operate in 12 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Europe. Our local teams support citizen organisers by amplifying their campaigns and connecting them to decision-makers. We have a proven model that strengthens local civic leadership and accelerates movement potential and systems change. Change.org has over 700,000 users in Kenya. And we're just getting started.
This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional leader to launch and grow a team in Kenya. As Country Director your mission will be to support the responsible expansion of our platform to support millions of people taking action on the issues they care about.
Country Directors oversee and ensure the success of the Change.org Foundation operations in a specific country. They are responsible for the overall strategic direction, impact, and financial sustainability of the country they manage. They have a mandate to strengthen the work of the Foundation and to innovate, grow engaged user-bases, ensure sustainability, develop the brand, and increase social impact.
The main responsibilities of a Country Director include:
- Develop a vision for the country in collaboration with Regional Directors, on how we can best support users on our platform to drive impact and sustainability and foster a culture of growth, collaboration and innovation in the country.
- Lead on the development of country strategy and participate in regional and global strategy across the Foundation network.
- Provide executive leadership to the broader Foundation, by working collaboratively with other leaders around the world to ‘think big’ about the opportunities we have to increase our impact, address the obstacles we face, and foster a culture defined by the Foundation’s principles.
- Foster collaboration with other country chapters to share learnings on impact, fundraising, brand, and other joint programs.
- Grow and protect our brand as the world’s leading open hub for civic organising in the country.
- Be our public face in the country, sought after as a speaker and inspiring leader.
- Maintain networks at senior levels across civil society, business, media, and government, to help grow influence for change.org users.
- Ensure the design and delivery of ambitious and rigorous sustainability strategies that guarantee the healthy financial sustainability of your country's operation.
- Build a top-notch team, as our first hire in Kenya, contribute to the growth of the Foundation by assembling a successful founding team.
- Manage the country team, recruit and retain great talent, support staff to succeed, including setting ambitious goals with teams, supporting them to execute plans, and ensure team health and professional development.
- Foster the Foundation’s culture and working principles.
- Ensure training, problem-solving, effective communication, and sharing, learning, and innovation in the country.
- Draft and manage the country budget, ensure correct budget execution, and contribute to regional and global solidarity mechanisms.
- Enforce local entity compliance with local regulations and global policies.
- Build efficient systems, and enforce excellent operational standards (risk management, budgets, HR, etc) in collaboration with Regional Directors and the Global Operations team. This includes ensuring timely financial reporting as agreed with the Global Leadership team.
- Provide guidance on sensitive staff, legal and operational issues when appropriate, in consultation with the local Board.
Experience & Qualifications
It’s rare that a candidate has a ‘perfect’ set of relevant experiences, we do not expect this, and all candidates are encouraged to apply, even if you are missing some of the items in the list below. Experiences we’ll be looking out for, and which we think will be helpful coming into a role like this are:
People Management. Experience building teams from the ground up. Exceptional people skills; passionate about achieving team success; able to inspire and motivate the team. The ability to recruit, coach, and mentor a diverse team and guide next-level leaders. An aptitude for managing skip-levels (e.g. a manager of managers) and demonstrated success in developing internal talent.
Operational Management. Experience driving sustainable operations, adept with drafting and managing budgets.
Strategic Excellence. Demonstrated success with the development, communication, and implementation of a clearly defined country vision. Experience adapting to complex and changing situations
Impact Oriented. Experience at a mission-driven organisation, an impact-focused company, or extensive volunteer work in the social change or humanitarian space. Demonstrated passion for breaking new ground in citizen-led social change.
Breadth & depth of knowledge. Tactical expertise and the commensurate ability to be hands-on and dive in. Strong knowledge and deep interest in the Kenyan media and political landscape.
Excellent spokesperson with a strong personal profile. Ability to inspire others to want to follow or be involved with their projects.
Fundraising Experience: Demonstrated success attracting and maintaining philanthropic support.
We have a grassroots mindset
Our internal decisions and strategies are based on deep listening of our staff and users' experience. All of the Foundation's work is focused on serving the realisation of the mission in our countries and our external projects are true collaborations with users and partners.
We thrive together
We believe in our collective impact working together as a Foundation. We ask questions that go beyond the Change.org platform and we make time to reflect and share with our colleagues.
We are free to create
Fostering new ideas for empowering our users and petition starters is an everyday challenge that every member of staff owns. We are free to decide our strategies and we will be supported to try new things, learning from failures as well as successes.
We are diverse, inclusive, and transparent.
We celebrate the diversity of our countries, staff, and users in the Foundation. We are all building an empowering place to work, so all Foundation staff will be involved in the decisions that affect them. Our users and colleagues know who we are and what we are working on, because we are proactive and transparent in our communications.
We are impact-driven
As a non-profit, we will always prioritise maximising impact. Wherever possible, we design our work so that the products and value it creates are free, open, and commons-based, creating a shared environment for social good.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time position, based in Kenya. This role would ideally be based in Nairobi, but other locations in Kenya will be considered.
We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
We love serving our users, and we love our staff too. We show it through competitive salaries, five weeks of annual leave, robust maternity and parental leave, an amazing culture where you'll work alongside some of the world's leading campaign and communications experts in the world. Your co-workers are high-impact, low-ego, and have a deep respect for our users.
We’re working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We’re just getting started and hope you’ll join us.