Change.org is searching for a Senior/Staff Data Engineer for our Platform Team. As a member of the platform squad, you will design, build, and maintain Change.org’s data platform, which serves our application development, machine learning, and business intelligence teams
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 50m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, hundreds of millions of signatures per year, 200 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We are profitable, growing fast, and executing on a plan to deepen and scale the social movements on our platform, from strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa, to bringing down the price of insulin across the United States, to fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil. We are seeing surging levels of activity right now as the world mobilizes to fight the Coronavirus and the cascading impacts of the Coronavirus on society's most vulnerable.
We are looking for a Senior/Staff Data Engineer who is great at developing and automating large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to empower Change.org’s application development, machine learning, and business intelligence teams and has a passion for expanding our platform to mobilize hundreds of millions of people to take deeper civic action.
You will be based out of our Victoria, BC office or our San Francisco office or Remote in either the United States or Canada and report to our Director of Platform. As a key member of our Data Platform Squad, you will;
- Develop and automate large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to empower Change.org’s application development, machine learning, and business intelligence teams
- Design our data models for optimal storage and retrieval and to meet critical product and business requirements
- Establish robust data integrity monitoring and practices so that company-wide metrics are based on accurate, complete, and consistent data
- Partner with engineering and product teams to define data consumption patterns and establish best practices via tools and shared libraries and services
- Participate in the 24-7 on-call rotation related to the data platform systems in order to provide reliability to all data consumers
The most important skills and capabilities for the role are:
Architecture & Design
- Experience designing and building complex data infrastructure at scale
- A strong DataOps mindset and opinions on next-generation warehousing tools
- Experience with large scale streaming platforms (e.g. Kafka), processing frameworks (e.g. Spark, Hadoop) and storage engines (e.g. HDFS, HBase)
- Experience with data lakes and data warehousing technologies (e.g. Redshift, Snowflake, DataBricks)
- Nice-to-have: Experience using AWS data related solutions (e.g. Redshift, S3, RDS, Elasticache, Spectrum)
- Working knowledge of relational databases (e.g. MySQL, Postgres)
- Working knowledge of non-relational databases (e.g. Redis, Cassandra)
- Exceptional query authoring skills (SQL)
- Exceptional Python or Scala skills
- Experience operating a workflow manager such as Airflow
- Nice-to-have: Experience building infrastructure as code using Terraform
Debugging & Troubleshooting
- Experience designing and deploying high performance systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to collaborate and take initiative across team barriers
Target Experience (e.g. X number of years doing Y)
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time role based in Victoria, BC or San Francisco, Bay Area or Remote. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of.
This is a FULL TIME position, and while we do strongly prefer folks living in the San Francisco, Bay Area or Victoria, BC in this position you can work Remotely from anywhere within the United States or Canada. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of.
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. (For example, an annual salary of a Senior/Staff Data Engineer is $182,000 USD in San Francisco, or would be $145,000 CAD in Victoria, BC. In exceptional circumstances, we may offer below the listed salary for high potential candidates with less experience, or above it for candidates with significantly more experience.
We anticipate moving very quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
Interview with Recruiter
Director of Platform, Technical Interview
Technical Team Interview (Architectural Design/Debugging and Troubleshooting)
Technical Interview (Coding Skills)
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. Everyone says this, right? Well, we mean it - we invest in serious programs to bring in and support women and people of color, we have in-person onboarding experiences and affinity groups to help everyone feel included, we regularly celebrate the heritage of all staff, and we believe strongly in consistent, fair, and transparent salary scales to help level the playing field. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.