Change.org is searching for a Senior Engineer to help us scale our team and our key revenue products.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 250m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, 250 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We’re growing quickly, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India.
We are looking for a Senior Engineer who is great at building scalable features, using a craftsmanship culture and has a passion for expanding our platform to mobilize hundreds of millions of people to take deeper civic action.
A Senior Software Engineer at Change.org is someone who can work effectively at scale, can manage their own priorities and makes appropriate progress with minimal supervision. Typically, Senior Software Engineers have 5+ years of relevant engineering experience beyond coding such as monitoring, integration testing and production support.
Our Victoria team of 14+ Engineers is responsible for designing and building the major core features and systems that drive petitions impact to reach victories. Our users are Petition supporters who sign, share and contribute financially to spread and increase awareness of each cause.
This hire will be expected to be located at our Victoria, Canada office (we support relocation).
As a key member of our team, you’ll:
- Lead the delivery of a Squad of (1-4) engineers
- Define and build user facing features that have direct impacts on driving petitions victories.
- Maintain and improve our systems that handle signs, shares and contribution platforms to handle massive traffic spikes.
- Work with different technologies, languages and frameworks (from front-end to devops)
- We use Rails, NodeJS, Elixir apps that run on AWS.Architect, design and build highly scalable distributed systems, products and features
- Define, drive and foster Engineering practices to ensure high availability, quality and reliability of our products and systems within your squad
- Contribute to our Product and Engineering strategy and tactics: define quarterly OKRs with your squad and Product Managers.
- Ensure OKRs success
- Code, Review, Monitor!
The most important capabilities for the role are:
- Being hands on - you’ll design, code, test and deploy with the teamExperience with leadership (1-2 year)
- Experience with engineering at scale (distributed systems, microservices architecture, event-driven), containers (dockers, K8s) and a cloud environment (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience with Front-End development with one of those frameworks (React, Vue, Rendr, Angular)
- Experience with Back-end development
- Experience with Agile methodologies and fast development cycles
- Being a Software craftsmanship lover and leader
- Continuous improvement mindset, you don’t stop looking for how to deliver better, faster, stronger.
- Working in an Agile environment has no secrets for you.
- Commitment for Diversity and inclusion
About our Engineering Team
Our team of 60 engineers (San Francisco, Victoria) are committed to lean and agile development, have recently transitioned to an autonomous team structure, and leverage modern web technologies (we recently built a new high-volume communications stack using Elixir, migrated our Front-end to React, and began decoupling our services with an event-driven architecture). We are 100% cloud-based through AWS.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time role based in Victoria, Canada. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of.
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.